digital scales

Jim Gibbinson

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear "had no problems" a lot.But how do you know?

Me too, "I had no problems" is a kinda funny statement for something subjective like catching fish. I used xxx bait/hooks/method and no problems, how would you know if you could have caught more doing something different?

Back on subject I have seen how poor digis can be, and I jusrt don't trust them. At least with dials if they are out they are out and won't vary everytime you use them and you can see if the needle is catching or something! With digis you just seem to get an answer usually a random number!

Rich

Have tested them (fox) against a set of avons and they both read the same. also tested agianst some much, much cheaper digitals and even they were within 2oz of the fox (slightly lighter).

At the end of the day what ever the scales read, thats how much the fish weighs. Never had any obviously rediculous weights, just when the batteries have got totally flat and you get an error message. Always carry spares.

Would recommed them, but they are expensive. Would like to have tried the chub or greys digitals but they were not available when i bought the fox.

Did have a set of zenso (something like that) which let me down whilst weighing a particularly nice carp. luckily a bloke on the lake had a set of fox's to do the honours.

There are several old topics here about digi scales. I wouldn't use them again. The most recent example of misweighing I can remember was Glyn's double figure tench last season - if the Fox digis had been trusted, he'd have had a 9lb 14oz tench, not a 10lb 5oz one.

Avons for me!

By the way, in case anyone thinks that we're just a load of miserable old farts here, do a search on other fishing forums. Horror stories abound...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

By the way, in case anyone thinks that we're just a load of miserable old farts here, do a search on other fishing forums. Horror stories abound...

I'm a miserable old fart, and my Berkley digitals are now ten years old and still going strong and I trust them completely, far more so than I ever did Avons. (lithium battery, turns itself off when not in use). :thumbs:

I have got to sing the praises of a set of scales I bought made by Berkley. They are digital and I think they claim to be accurate to the nearest 1/8th ounce. They do actually read in fractions which is probably not too important if you have just banked your pb barbel or carp but if it is a good roach etc it would be quite nice to know. I have made various tests for verifying these scales and find them to be as accurate as they claim. The other nice thing is they read on both sides so if you have a witness they can read the weight at the same time as you. They are also backlit by selection and turn themselves off.

I am sorry but my avons simply have not been used ever since I got this scale but I am keeping them for the day I might want to weigh a 50lb fish :rolleyes:

I don't seem to have a lot of luck with the electronic things (cameras, phones, thermometers....) that come fishing with me. So as the pair of dial scales i use now and have for the last ten year still work fine and i don't have to pay for batteries, why (even if my dial scales stopped working tomorrow) would i consider buying digital scales? Do they have any advantages?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Was thinking of dipping toe into digital with the Salters as they seem to get less bad reports than others. Just found out Avon now seem to do digis, anyone tried them...?

http://www.avonscale.co.uk/fishing.html

News to me Jim, but having just looked at this page - http://www.avonscale.co.uk/servicesrepairs.html - I'm tempted to send mine for a service :oB)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have got to sing the praises of a set of scales I bought made by Berkley. They are digital and I think they claim to be accurate to the nearest 1/8th ounce. They do actually read in fractions which is probably not too important if you have just banked your pb barbel or carp but if it is a good roach etc it would be quite nice to know. I have made various tests for verifying these scales and find them to be as accurate as they claim. The other nice thing is they read on both sides so if you have a witness they can read the weight at the same time as you. They are also backlit by selection and turn themselves off.

I am sorry but my avons simply have not been used ever since I got this scale but I am keeping them for the day I might want to weigh a 50lb fish :rolleyes:

I also have a set of Berkley digi scales and do have faith in the readings, every few months I give them a test against known weighted items and they do seem to read correctly.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek