Long time coming and worth waiting for .......

H.A.

I dreaded this stuff beginning to filter through from Defra, but I'm so happy that Shaw and Defra have managed to avoid appeasement of the commercial sector and count only the impact studies which give RSAs a big ZERO!

I was involved in the early stages of this. The local Bye-law we were drafting was obstructed all the way by commercial interests on Southern Sea Fishing District Committee.

The Minister (Defra) thought it so important they made it a matter of Ministerial Order rather than Bye-law. The Devon scallopers scuppered the local Lyme Bay fishermens' agreement to leave the reef alone and now we see the result. :thumbs:

Date: 19/06/2008 10:41:53

To: H.A.

Subject: (DEFRA) Ministers act to protect Lyme Bay sea life

Department for Environment, Food And Rural Affairs (National)

(DEFRA) Ministers act to protect Lyme Bay sea life

Ministers today banned damaging types of fishing in 60 square nautical miles of sea off the South West coast to protect threatened sea life.

About ten per cent of Lyme Bay from West Bay to Beer Head will be permanently closed to scallop dredgers and bottom trawlers which drag nets along the seabed, to safeguard the area's rich marine life and habitats.

Lyme Bay is home to world-renowned reefs as well as important species including pink sea fans, sunset cup corals and several rare sponges.

After public consultation and a full assessment of the impacts, the government has ordered that the area be closed from early July.

Fishing using nets nearer the surface or static nets and lines will still be allowed, as will diving for scallops, scuba diving and sea angling.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dreaded this stuff beginning to filter through from Defra, but I'm so happy that Shaw and Defra have managed to avoid appeasement of the commercial sector and count only the impact studies which give RSAs a big ZERO!

I was involved in the early stages of this. The local Bye-law we were drafting was obstructed all the way by commercial interests on Southern Sea Fishing District Committee.

The Minister (Defra) thought it so important they made it a matter of Ministerial Order rather than Bye-law. The Devon scallopers scuppered the local Lyme Bay fishermens' agreement to leave the reef alone and now we see the result. :thumbs:

Date: 19/06/2008 10:41:53

To: H.A.

Subject: (DEFRA) Ministers act to protect Lyme Bay sea life

Department for Environment, Food And Rural Affairs (National)

(DEFRA) Ministers act to protect Lyme Bay sea life

Ministers today banned damaging types of fishing in 60 square nautical miles of sea off the South West coast to protect threatened sea life.

About ten per cent of Lyme Bay from West Bay to Beer Head will be permanently closed to scallop dredgers and bottom trawlers which drag nets along the seabed, to safeguard the area's rich marine life and habitats.

Lyme Bay is home to world-renowned reefs as well as important species including pink sea fans, sunset cup corals and several rare sponges.

After public consultation and a full assessment of the impacts, the government has ordered that the area be closed from early July.

Fishing using nets nearer the surface or static nets and lines will still be allowed, as will diving for scallops, scuba diving and sea angling.

Hi H

Goverment win much needed votes from GREENS anglers expendable when GREENS tell goverment to jump

steve

A programme on sunday gave samples of a typical dredged area and the result was more starfish than anything else. Followed by dredging an area just outside a previously closed area, result, loads of scallops.

The area they are closing is 10% of lyme bay, purly for dredging and bottom trawling, is that a bad thing, i dunno.

http://www.fishupdate.com/news/fullstory.p...y_sea_life.html

One comment in the link was interesting, Mr Mike Prust said: 'closing this massive area will leave it open for pots, nets for fin fish, angling and diving boats. Soon there will not be a living thing because towed gear we know aids release of nutriants into the water for feed.'

He wasn't talking about disgard was he. Or just stirring the bottom.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The problem was simply the physical damage which bottom methods did to the corals. The fan corals were being washed up daily after scallopers dug it up.One shellfish merchant admitted there was a problem and then summed up the commercial attitude for me - "Why worry about a few corals; nobody can see them anyway."These fans (and the associated benthic ecology and food webs) took decades to establish and grow and they were being decimated.The important point to me was that Shaw did not appease the commercial sector by lumping us (and others) in with them. Someone had done their background reading and if that continues who knows what the 'environmental and conservation approach' in the Marine Bill will bring for RSAs?

Edited by H.A.

One comment in the link was interesting, Mr Mike Prust said: 'closing this massive area will leave it open for pots, nets for fin fish, angling and diving boats. Soon there will not be a living thing because towed gear we know aids release of nutriants into the water for feed.'

He wasn't talking about disgard was he. Or just stirring the bottom.

He's talking out of his ring - If closed areas become barren then whey did the entire brixham scalloper fleet hammer the grounds inside the Guernsey 12 mile as soon as it opened up??!!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

why did the entire brixham scalloper fleet hammer the grounds inside the Guernsey 12 mile as soon as it opened up??!!

Because they are desperate men who cannot make a balance between the way they earn a living and the way they devastate the environment.

Most of all .... because they can.

Guernsey won't put up with that much longer when they see what Defra is prepared to do off their own bat.

<_<

Edited by H.A.

Because they are desperate men who cannot make a balance between the way they earn a living and the way they devastate the environment.

Most of all .... because they can.

Guernsey won't put up with that much longer when they see what Defra is prepared to do off their own bat.

<_<

What I want to know is how the pink sea fans managed to flourish along side the fishing fleet for the last 40 years?

And what are the greens going to do when after the ban has been implemented and they still keep finding fan corals washed up on the beaches?

With a bit of luck they will blame anglers lines and weights or angling boats dropping anchors on them.

I fish to live and live to fish.

I think they might also have complained about the reefs changing into bowling greens.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I think they might also have complained about the reefs changing into bowling greens.

Hello Barry

If it has not happened by now why should it happen in the future?

I fish to live and live to fish.