Car Booting

Peter Waller

Cheers folks. Jim, re stolen stuff. Would suspect that tackle is stolen more generally for self use or quick sale by druggies. Wouldn't have thought it likely to arrive at a car-boot sale whilst there are quick cash buyers who buy within minutes / hours of goods being stolen, as they do in this area. It seems that the police know exactly where stolen goods end up, but appear powerless, or unwilling to do anything about it. Tony Martin had the right idea. I can only speak as I find carboot sales in this part of the country.

As today, when I was selling, most people asked why I was selling before they bought, as I suspect most of us do. If I suspected it was stolen I would not buy, rest assured. If you knew me then I doubt that you would have made that comment !

Most real bargains come from people who have long given up and a reel or two might be hidden amongst loads of other stuff.

The other source of carboot bargains, in this area, stems from the off-shore trade. Some oil workers buy, buy, buy by mail order whilst they are offshore. They loose interest, or something better comes along. Hubbies at sea and wife is left to sell what hubbie no longer uses. It doesn't happen so much now that the Southern sector is just about finished.

As for today I shifted a goodly load of odds and sods. Spent the last few evenings rationalising what I have. Sold three refinished 50's/60s cane match rods for what I thought were fair prices.

No interest whatsoever in three delightful 1950's light cane spinning rods though. A rather nice greenheart spinning rod went quite quickly.

A trad gear dealer that I know had a rummage round, thought my prices compared with his so I think they were fair.

Neither of two Mk IVs went but both caused a great deal of interest. Without exception all the comments were to the effect that the people looking at them had never seen one before, knew them by reputation, and now they had handled one they couldn't understand why the rod was so highly rated!

One of the Mk IV's was a 'signature' one. Close whipped although Walker didn't like close whipping, thought it a waste of time. Apparently only 200 'signatures' were made. Sort of limited edition to boost falling sales I think.

Assorted reels went very quickly indeed, all at prices comparable, or above e.bay. Yes, I was more than happy. All went to appreciative homes, which I thought a bonus.

Chris, thanks for the offer, appreciated. Have to say that I don't enjoy using e.bay so am concerned that others don't either. I think, all things considered, that Dunc's suggestion is worth considering. Most of what I sold today was pretty run of the mill, sort of things that e-bay only raises a quid or two for, gear that needed to be seen and handled before purchasing.

Basically I wanted a quick, easy, instant clearout with minimum agro. I do have one or two very collectable baitcasting items that I will post on the US e.bay, eventually. The UK market for such items appears poor.

Strange, I haven't see an Intrepid for a long time now. Now we know what Chesters gets up to every Sunday! Trawls the carboot sales of the UK!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Strange, I haven't see an Intrepid for a long time now. Now we know what Chesters gets up to every Sunday! Trawls the carboot sales of the UK!

only now and again :( so getting ALL the fixed spools and varients will be a long time coming :(

although a phonecall i made today revealed that beside the "lost" monarch an older and never released one exists ,who`photo`s i hope will be taken in june.

the name of this reel is.........well perhaps you should do your own research i have to put SOMETHING in my book :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just for info:

Although there were only 200 "Signature" Mk IVs produced, quite a lot more were made with the signature applied as a transfer. In addition to that, a MK IV "kit" was sold, for anyone to build for quite a lot less. That's why you sometimes find MK IVs with no signature at all, or a signature of an "unknown" angler. With home built ones, you often find they need re-whipping, as the dope used by homebuilders, wasn't often up to much. Added to that, the varnishes used, were also often inferior.

As far as intermediatte whippings go, I've got both versions. The rod with no intermediattes, is a tiny bit softer than the other, but both have a true test curve of 1 1/4lbs.

The cane MKIV, is a great choice, for someone who wants to try cane rod fishing, but who can't spend fortunes. I've taken a lot of Chub and Barbel on both mine, and their action is excellent. Don't spare them because they're old and cane. They were designed to be fished with and will take a surprising amount of abuse.

The cane MKIV "Avon", is quite distinct from the MKIV "Carp". A lot of people get confused, but the carp rod is quite a bit thicker in the butt. Again, a few versions were released. the ones to look for, are whipped in green silk. If anyone has one of these, I've got a stock of the original silk if anyone needs a rebuild.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Dunc, strangely enough one of the two, the signature one went today. Bloke that I'd given my number to phoned up today, we were both pleased!It was well used and resembled a dogs hind leg but he was well pleased. One of the cane spinning rods also went after another fellow also phoned up.

The second Mk IV that I have has a transfer signature, complete, and B.James and Son, England. It is close whipped in burgundy. Onion style handle. I'd be quite happy to send it to you on the understanding that you pay me what you feel to be fair. If you are interested then e.mail your address and I'll pop it in the post. Be good to know that is going to an appreciative home where it will be well used.

Thanks for that. My addy is with you now (probably)

Although I'm a huge fan of old and "antique" tackle, I'd much rather it was used and broken on a fish, than not used and broken while hanging on a wall and broken when dusting!!

I wonder what tackle has been made more recently, which could be classed as "classic" in the future. Possibly the original Daiwa Whisker Kevlar carp rods of the mid 80s? They certainly made it easy to buy carbon carp rods of modern standards "off the shelf" so to speak. Also, original Optonics (with or without "Bamford" or "Del Romang (Delkim)" conversions.

The world of Fibreglass rods, is already picking up in the collector's world. Original "Heron" bite alarms are beginning to raise good money. I've even got a pack of readymade boilies, Crafty Catcher "King Prawn", which I bought in about 1988. Should I hang on to these? In actual fact, they still look good enough to use. Hmmmm....perhaps?

Dunk Fairley

Dunk Fairley:

Original "Heron" bite alarms are beginning to raise good money.  

Anyone interested in buying one? I must remember to put it on the For Sale page.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hmm...Thats a good question Matt. I'm afraid it's only worth what someone will pay fo it, provided that's what the seller agrees. I'll pay a good price for a "useable" rod, even if it means it needs a rebuild.

Others, will pay a seriously high price for a "knackered" rod, but is OK to hang on the wall, just so they can say they have one.

Now, you say you are to "young" to have fished with cane. There is a serious undercurrent within angling, who like to use cane rods. Cane gives you a different feel. I'll not say it's fantastic, nor that cane should be used in every situation. In a lot of situations, modern rods are much better and more efficient at landing hooked fish. But there is a special touch with cane, which is unique (I suppose there probably is with Fibreglass, Carbon, Graphite and Kevlar as well).

Until you've felt it, you can't describe it properly.

As a price guide, try this on for size, speaking about my own rods, going back quite a few years.

1975 £2.00 for a "signature" MKIV Avon.

1990 &45.00 for a MKIV Avon, with intact transfer.

1994 £14.00 for a MKIV Avon, home build kit.

1997 £50.00 for a large box of original B.James whipping threads and rod rings.

2001 £11.00 for a box of assorted B. James tranfers (R. Walker transfers) and other B. James items (including reel rings)

2003..... well I may let you know.

If you can find an example which needs rebuilding, possibly £50. Then, if you spend £150 having it rebuilt proffesionaly (NOT what I charge and also depending on what rings need replacing) you will have a pretty good rod. If you need rings, especially tip and butt, which are made with "Agate" liners, the price will go up. It's not because people are greedy, but it's because the original rings are like hens teeth. Added to that, the actual thread is VERY scarce. The intermeddiate whippings (which are about 1/2" apart) are whipped in a very fine thread. This thread (the original stuff) hasn't been available for many years. When I rebuild a rod, I have to get thicker thread and unwind it. I then have to re-twist it by hand, so that I can get thread of the right thickness.

Along the way at auction, I've turned down rods which were new and unused, but were going to cost far and away above what I could afford.

Whereabouts do you live (roughly)? I may be able to put you in touch with someone who would be able to take you and another angler (Dad?) fishing using cane.

For the record, If I rebuild a rod for someone, I make NO profit. Usually, just the price of a beer and a smile, when the owner catches his first fish on that rod.

Dunk Fairley

When I say I'm too young to have fished with Cane I'm 32 and have been fishing for about 20 years ;-)

but I live in Southend, Essex if there are any local cane users!

I tried a centrepin a few years back, after an angling youth of believing that the newest and most expensive tackle was best, and it opened my eyes somewhat, although I now use a pin for almost all my fishing, and it seems a good idea to try out my trudex and speedia on the cane rods they were probably designed for.

Mat