Car Booting

Peter Waller

On the subject of old cane rods...although I have lived in the US for 27 years I have managed to vacation in England about every 2 years. A good friend had a father-in-law who died about thirty years ago who was quite a good angler at club level. That was in the days when we fished the Trent using crow quill floats! His widow lived with her daughter and my friend and she always told me she had kept her husbands fishing tackle and it was stored in the loft. I said I would love to see it as it would be 50s-60s vintage. My friend said he would dig it out. He never did and I forgot about.

I visited England over the recent Christmas holidays and went to see my friend again. Unfortunately both his wife and mother-in-law have now passed away. Whilst reminiscing I mentioned the old guys fishing tackle. My friend said if I visited the next week He would have it there for me to see. I did visit and he had an old cane rod for me to look at. To say it brought back old memories is and understatement. It was 12 ft. long, 3 piece Spanish reed with a spliced in split cane insert in the top piece. I can't remember when I last saw a rod like that. It did not have conventional brass ferrules, the joints were cane to cane with a brass strengthening ring on the outside of the cane where the pieces fitted together. It weighed a ton. It was in very poor condition and the rings had rusted. The remains of the rod bag had the name Martin James on it but I don't think that was who manufactured the rod because the bag was too small for the rod.

I then remembered an old fellow who worked at the same pit as me made similar rods for his friends. He didn't make many. The rod had no name on it so I think it was one he had made. I lusted after one of these rods when I was young but could not afford one. I believe Tommy Watson's in Nottingham also sold similar rods but can't remember seeing rods like this in other areas.

I hope I have not bored you too much but visiting this sight has made me realize that a lot of member's have never seen cane rods. How we managed to fish (long-trotting) with such heavy rod's is a mystery.

It's just occured to me that maybe somewhere in my friends loft is lying a very good centrepin reel that has not been used for over thirty years....umm. I think I'll pay him another visit the next time I'm over Blighty way.

Hillbilly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you "assume" all gear sold at car boot sales are stolen then you have to assume that ANY 2nd hand gear is suspect , be it through small ads or auctions or whatever. Its NOT all stolen stuff . I've sold gear at sales , none of it stolen , easy to do , no faffing about waiting for callers etc.

The norris link....never seen so much overpriced gear ...do they actually sell any of it ?

Fishing with old cane "heavy" rods, gets easier, the more you do it. How? Well you develope things which seem to be long forgotten these days, namely, arm muscles!

Red H. Martin James is a very well known angler and broadcaster. If it's the same one, it's quite an interesting find.

Mat, are you a member of the Anglersnet Members Club? If so, look out for Grayling trips organised by Chris Plumb, Chris kindly organises these for ANMC members, through the forum. If you went on one of these, you'd certainly get the chance to fish with cane and a centrepin.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

kreid:

If you "assume" all gear sold at car boot sales are stolen then you have to assume that ANY 2nd hand gear is suspect , be it through small ads or auctions or whatever. Its NOT all stolen stuff . I've sold  gear at sales , none of it stolen , easy to do , no faffing about waiting for callers etc.

The norris link....never seen so much overpriced gear ...do they actually sell any of it ?

When you've had all your tackle stolen you might be a little more cynical.

Somebody must be selling Barbour stuff. They made £3.4M profit last year.

OOPS! There's that dirty word again.

I've just written out a cheque to John Norris! Got to keep them northern folk in jobs!

[ 08. May 2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

quote:

They made £3.4 profit last year

3 pounds 4p blimey i might get shares :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dunk Fairley:

Mat, are you a member of the Anglersnet Members Club? If so, look out for Grayling trips organised by Chris Plumb, Chris kindly organises these for ANMC members, through the forum. If you went on one of these, you'd certainly get the chance to fish with cane and a centrepin.

I'm not an ANMC member (yet) - I've only recently found these forums, but I have been on a few of the IAC Grayling trips, I believe they go to the same stretch of the Kennet!

Mat

Mat