Thanks BBC!

awaaar

morning all - 1st of all, my apologies for sounding a touch miffed.

Did anyone see DIY SOS on BBC1 last night?. People write into the show and then some cowboys come round to they're house and do some DIY that they can't be arsed with.

Anyway, about half way through this job they were doing, these cowboys decided to take a break....and go fishing.

This arse catches himself - I'd say about a 6oz Perch out of a canal, but the way he struck into it - you'd have thought it was a 100lbs Nile Perch - tit - he lifted it about 6ft out of the water, on the strike, then unlipped it with his fingers, even though you could tell is was a barbed hook - then, wait for it.....tossed it about six feet from the bank back into the water!

this is wrong, if I was the type :) I'd write in and complain!....thanks a lot BBC, no genuine angling shows on the box for years, and then you make us all look like butchers.

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having watched it I reckon you are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. These were just yer actual average, typical once in a blue moon anglers, doing what average, once in a blue moon anglers do. They were enjoying themselves without the finesse and expertise that we would expect, or practise ourselves. But atleast they were showing angling as an enjoyable, relaxing past-time. Thanks BBC!

True - but my missus doesn't like fishing, and she was on at me last night, I've tried to tell her that you can fish and not cause too much distress for them, if they are handled right - but when she seen that....I can imagine all sorts of people sat there watching it, thinking the same thing as her...I suppose I'm only having a rant cos I got it in the neck

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

that's what I was thinking watching it zapp - it didn't look too good, and people against our sport don't need any ammo, not on 8.15pm primetime TV anyway!

- WC Fields

Molehills will always turn into mountains. People will always mistreat fish. The same way people will always mistreat any animal (including humans). It is up to us all to show the right way.

The BBC crew, are just that, a "Crew". A collection of people gathered together to film what went on. It's probable that they even thought that the way the fish was returned was actually very humane. In other parts of the world, fish are skinned alive, parts of the flesh are carved out and eaten, then what's left is thrown back in (often still alive) to attract other fish. Who's to say that this wasn't what was filmed a month ago? Actually seeing a fish put back in one bit, may have been a revalation to the film crew.

We can pride ourselves that in the UK, fish care is a priority for many. In an ideal world, everyone would care for the fish. It's up to us to educate them all.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I watched the program last night as well and I realy can't see what all the fuss is about.

Ok it was not the best of fishing BUT it at last showed a few people fishing and enjoying themselfs while doing it.

As for the fish handling, not the best I agree but there are a lot worse things going on then that in the fishing world like illegal imports for one.

30 mins spent with the people you saw on the program last night I'm sure you would have much better and fish friendly anglers at the end of it.

I bet most of them had never held a fishing rod before that let alone gone fishing so give them a bit of slack.

I for one enjoyed it and it was nice to see people like that looking so happy fishing.

To complain use this url

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/?mailto=diysos@bbc.co.uk

don't let me be the only one, make our voice heard :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[Message edited to get the url working] :)

[ 14. February 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I've been looking for that - thanks v.much!

points of view - here I come :mad: :mad:

- WC Fields