Anyone spot any obvious errors?

dizidave

Went fishing at the canal on saturday...lovely day.

Set up and in teh water for about 10am....I was fishing maggot and caster with some silly bait groundbait.

It starte doff well, catching a few perch roach and half decent rudd.

I was doing the usual tactics, loose feeding maggots every few minutes...6-12 maggots at a time.

Come mid day, it really slowed down and infact stopped. Now i know this is quite normal and that things do die off mid-day but it never came back on again.

i continued to loose feed etc, and it never came back right up to me stopping at about 5pm.

Any ideas what i did wrong here? too much feed maybe?

thx.

It sounds to me as if you may have had a pike come in to the area. Regular loose feeding will draw lots of fish in, as you saw, but a pike will follow the shoal, or be drawn to such activity. In a canal, there may not be much cover, so the pike could have "spooked the shoal into a tight group, or scared it away. This could have happened especially if the pike had a "lunge" at the shoal.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

The number of times I have been bitten off when trotting bread flake along a river...well i suppose bouncing something white and fluffy along a river bed is asking for trouble!

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

It maybe that you over fed the swim. If bites start to slow I cut back on loose feeding, even resting the swim for a while and moving, however, it may have been a pike or the fish moveing to cover as the sun rises.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Dave

to much feed, same happened to me on Sunday.

Even the rudd stopped feeding.

A few more weeks and you can pile the bait in but the water temp has not quite hit the mark yet.

it is still cold at night and this cools the water.

babar

The sun is at its highest, the air and water temp are at there warmest, the fish like to rest during this period.

Happens everywhere.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!