How do you tie a paternoster?

RUDD

Ant, I don't disagree with you when you say that no rig is 100% safe. However I believe in minimising the risk as far as I can, hence my choice of the safest rigs I can find/devise. It's purely a question of degree.

As you say I think we're going to have to agree to differ on this one.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve, I'd like to say that it's only a good thing that we have had this debate about fish safety and I agree with you totaly about minimising the risks as best we can. I sincerely hope I have not come across as being flippant towards this subject, as fish safety is always my top priority.

There are many, many ways to tie a feeder rig and my opinions on the safety of this rig stem directly from my own experiences, and the experiences of my angling friends. If any fish's wellfare was put at risk due to any rig that I had tied, then I would without doubt cease to use it immediately.

Regards, Ant :)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

No rig is 100% safe I agree with this, I also agree that we should minimise the risk if it is at all possible.

Even a float rig is a potential tether rig in that if the line breaks above the shot nearest the hook and the shot was crimped on too firmly, then possibly that shot could tangle in some underwater obstruction, and then tether a small fish. But this IS an etreme case.

I used to use the paternoster and the infamous double loop rig untill using the latter rig one day I caught a very sorry looking Perch which had another double loop rig and 2 and a half ounce feeder attached to it. I ceased to use it immediately and devised a rig which was first published here two years ago. I have used this rig now for about three and a half years and can highly reccomend it to any one. It is also favourable as it works like a fixed lead/feeder system but it is not fixed. If the line snaps anywhere the most that could be still attached is a hook, some line and a small Drennan ring.

I am pleased to say that this rig has now been included in the NAA "Code Of Conduct" and in there you will also find a few other slightly safer rigs that you may be able to include in your rig armoury.

You can view the code here, the rig is halfway down...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/saa/Code2002.htm

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet