rules on fishing bans

nellynb

I Live in flat next to a british waterways canal basin and i have my enviroment agency licence. Fishing has always been prominant here but today the local council have put signs up saying "no Fishing" as the canal basin is owned by british waterways and not the local council is this legal and if it is , is there anyway to over turn it ...many people have been using the basin for fishing, some dont clean up after them selves and occasionally use peoples walls as a urinals. but the majoraty of people who fish here are very resonable and take ll of their rubbish home...what legal grounds do the council and the police have to stop fishing on british water ways canals.

nellynb

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone always owns the waterway, and therefore the fishing rights. Some are given over to free fishing, but they are getting fewer and fewer.

As mentioned by Steve find out who does own the rights, and the reasoning behind the change.

You could always take the case to Fish Legal. I know the Angling Trust isn't everyone's cup of tea, but they have done good work in keeping various waters open for fishing.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

the question to be answered here is; who actually and; by what authority, authorised the wording and placing of these signs.

surely the only persons who can designate a no-fishing area are the owners i.e british waterways. This begs the question, why are the signs not british waterway signs? furthermore by what authority did sandwell council have to place these signs?

British Waterways may own the fishing rights and the canal network, but if the council controls access to that water and the ground you're actually sitting on while you're fishing, then I'd guess they're within their rights to stop you fishing. The only way to find out is to ask them though. Similarly, have you spoken to British Waterways?

You could always take the case to Fish Legal. I know the Angling Trust isn't everyone's cup of tea, but they have done good work in keeping various waters open for fishing.

Fish legal is what used to be the ACA until the AT swallowed it - I've never known anyone have a bad word for the ACA!

go get them ,its rutting season on the quays & time too go bang some heads .metaphorically and in spirit ,if not physically we're all right there with you ,so your not alone in your fight for right .good luck with the good fight

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Slightly off-topic but in a similar vein, I just got banned from posting on facebook for advertising an update to my website in my comments window... It was reported as abusive and offensive by someone. Facebook are ignoring me even though they have a type of dispute report and they haven't replied to queries through other channels either.

Please check it out in my signature, if you can see anything offensive, let me know as I'll have it removed.

Btw, the more cynical might think this is me advertising but I'm really serious, I've spent quite a long time on this site and was really pleased until now...

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Yes well done mate! I detest these people who it seems only reason for becoming part of local government is so they can force their opinions/beliefs/preferences on other people. They are mini Hitlers and as such should all be exposed as such and removed from any position of power.Local councils are full of them!

This whole business of "public urination" also gets on my tits! Its a natural act for Christ sakes! Yes be discreet and also try to use sense so that an open sewer isn't created but people need to pi$$.Some (I am one) have a lot less bladder control than others and when they need to go they must! The luxury of "waiting till you get home" or "finding a public toilet" (who are they kidding try finding one yet alone one that's open!) isn't something we all have.

I wont go in to the leaving behind of feaces and toilet paper (at least unburied) but this to my mind is the same as the litter problem and should be regarded/treated the same.

A lot of fishing is lost because of this. But once again I'm not talking about mountains of human crap every where or guys waggling their privates in front of people! Its just prudish totally unpractical people simply objecting to people carrying out (what is a perfectly natural act) something their own Victorian beliefs think is wrong!

I bet there are also residents there who have complained simply as they feel the anglers make it look "untidy" or "spoil their view" Honest Ive come across all of this rubbish. Strikes me a bit like if you don't like cars don't buy a house next to the motorway! Maybe others have the hump because the visiting anglers are parking in "their" parking spots? And a multitude of other selfish petty reasons that really have nothing to do with angling itself!

I would definitely recommend trying to find out what the views of your neighbours are as well as what/why etc the council have done this.Regardless of the legality (which can/can be changed/challenged) its worth finding out the real (if any) objections and objectors.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!