centerpin or not???

BIGMAN

having whatched john wilson and a few more people of late doing some very nifty and profitable trotting i wondered if it mighn't be worth buying a good centerpin reel and having a go,they seem to make it look easy(yes i know they are supposed to)but i liked the style and ease of the reel,or can the same thing be achieved with a good standard reel with more ball-bearings?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect you'll get a few replies to this! (Glen is probably tapping away as I type :P )Many pin users, of which I'm one, swear by them especially for trotting on the rivers. I love to fish this way adds to my enjoyment and to my catches! I guess there are a couple of options open - one is to get a cheapish reel like a Leeds and see if you like it another is to borrow a set up for a day. Be warned however Centre-pins themselves can be somewhat addictive. :)

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

chris is right they are very adictive, sometime i find myself just looking at this screen with a pin in my hand and just spinning it, silly isnt it, i find them fantastic, i would be able to fish half the rivers i do without a pin.

i know of a nice JWY rapidex for sale, i was going to have it but havnt had the money, i expect Alan roe will look in here he is the guy i had my truedex from, he is also the man that is selling the rapidex, good hunting, i hope you get what your looking for.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

Honestly? I doubt there is much you can't do with a fixed spool.

However, when did you hear of anybody passionate about a fixed spool? Get one. You don't have to pay much.

I'd recommend something like a Trudex to start with - you can pick them up on eBay for about £40 - much more and it's overpriced in my view. They are good quality reels from the 60's, made by JWYoung. They come with an optional line guard for if you find you need one. A good one should spin very well - and if it doesn't, send it to Garry Mills at the Mill Tackle Co (www.milltackle.co.uk) and it soon will!!

http://www.jwyoung.co.uk/history/trudex1.htm

If you fancy a new reel for about the same money, then try the Leeds 'pin. Leon Roskilly completely outfished me at the last Grayling Fish-In using one!!! Can't vouch for them, but they obviously catch fish!!!

[ 20. February 2003, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: spindle ]

As previous posters have said- beware you may become addicted. I love to fish with my pin, but dont do it often enough really. Mine is an adcock stanton (do they still make them?) and spins for ever with the lightest of touches.

Only advice I can give is to put aside a day or three to learn the basics of using a pin. maybe go out with someone who uses one regularly.

When you have had some experience you will be able to make a stick float sing and dance its way down the river.

Thats a shame Chris they are a good reel, do you have one?

I remember my first day out with mine on the severn at Shrewsbury in the winter, must have been about 15 or 17 yrs ago now..I can still see the red top of a John dean stick gliding down that swim....ahhh memories :)

Nice reels - I have one myself. They'll cost you a bit more I think if you can find one for sale, but they spin smoother and for longer than any other reel I've tried.

I'll be vain and post this link:

http://anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb.php...t=008962#000000

If you fancy a go at Wallis Casting, this will give you an idea of how it's done.

It's worth searching for previous threads on 'pins too.

Finally, keep any eye out here for secondhand 'pins, though they are a bit more expensive as it is a shop selling them:

http://www.davistackle.co.uk/sh-cp-rl.htm

[ 20. February 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: spindle ]

Arrrrgh , there I was all set for a nice simple days piking on Saturday and now I've got to start pulling the garage to pieces trying to find floats and such like.

It's not even as if I can use the sodding pin properly , but have I the sense to stop trying , have I hell as like.

See what you've all done , I'll be back on the tablets before March 15th!