Angler's Net Fish-In at Wingham

Steve Burke

This year's fish-in on Wingham Coarse Lake will take place on the weekend of 7th/8th June.

Who can come? Anyone who's reading this! :D However, although the venue is 40 acres, places will be limited. If necessary priority will be given to those who haven't been before. Otherwise it'll be first come, first served.

What's the cost? Nothing! :D It's both a thank you to Elton for hosting the Wingham web site, and also a chance to meet friends from the Forum.

When is the venue open? I've experimented with 1, 2 & 3 day fish-ins before at Wingham. This year will be a 2 day event with the fishery open from 9am Saturday to 9pm Sunday. You're welcome to fish overnight.

Can I bivvy up? Yes. You can also sleep in the clubhouse which has toilets, a kitchen and a shower. Alternatively you can kip in the car park. Accomodation can also be arranged nearby.

Where is Wingham? On a nature reserve in the middle of nowhere near Canterbury, Kent. The loudest noise is normally birdsong!

What restrictions are there? No keepnets or nuts are permitted, neither are lures nor fishbaits. Also no barbless hooks above size 10 are allowed. Please use barbed, preferably micro-barbed hooks. 3 rods are permitted. Full rules will be sent when you book.

What tackle should I bring? The venue is very little fished and therefore the fish aren't tackle shy. Weed will be growing fast and with the very high average weights a minimum of 5lb line and preferably stronger is recommended. If fishing boilies please use 15lbs+ line as you may hook a monster carp!

What baits would you recommend? All common baits catch such as worm, maggots and corn, but remember the lake is very little fished and so unusual baits are not likely to work so well without pre-baiting.

What are the best tactics? The most important requirement is to keep quiet and still as, although the fish aren't tackle or bait shy, they are very easily spooked due to the lack of fishing pressure. The fish have definite patrol routes and, with the huge amount of natural food (Gaffer reckons any weed you retrieve crawls back in!) the fish aren't likely to move off these patrol routes. So the best advice I can give you is to thoroughly plumb the swim and fish the margins as most of these are on patrol routes. Bear in mind though that most of the swims are deep, typically with 10 foot at the bottom of the marginal shelf.

What can I expect to catch? Wingham is a big fish water, so although you're not likely to catch lots of fish (and may well blank) you've every chance of specimens. For instance one new member fishing a daytime session last week had 15 tench averaging 7½lbs, with 2 over 9lbs. As they'll be filling out with spawn they're likely to be even bigger next month. (The tench normally spawn late June at Wingham as the water is big and deep and takes a long time to warm up and cool down.) For further details click on the link at the end of this post.

How do I book? By e-mailing me at peggyandsteve@tiscali.co.uk not by leaving a message here please. However, you're welcome to ask questions here as others may find the answers helpful.

[ 20. May 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

This year's fish-in on Wingham Coarse Lake will take place on the weekend of 7th/8th June.

Who can come?
Anyone who's reading this!
:D
However, although the venue is 40 acres, places will be limited. Priority will be given to those who haven't been before. Otherwise it'll be first come, first served.

What's the cost?
Nothing!
:D
It's both a thank you to Elton for hosting the Wingham web site, and also a chance to meet friends from the Forum.

When is the venue open?
I've experimented with 1, 2 & 3 day fish-ins before at Wingham. This year will be a 2 day event with the fishery open from 9am Saturday to 9pm Sunday. You're welcome to fish overnight.

What restrictions are there?
No
keepnets or
nuts are permitted
, neither are lures nor fishbaits. Also
barbless
hooks above size 10 are not allowed. Please use barbed, preferably micro-barbed hooks. 3 rods are permitted. Full rules will be sent when you book.

What can I expect to catch?
Wingham is a big fish water, so although you're not likely to catch lots of fish (and may well blank) you've every chance of specimens. For instance one new member fishing a daytime session last week had 15 tench
averaging
7½lbs, with 2 over 9lbs. As they'll be filling out with spawn they're likely to be even bigger next month. (The tench normally spawn late June at Wingham as the water is big and deep and takes a long time to warm up and cool down.) For further details click on the link at the end of this post.

Great offer, Steve, and very generous, as is Elt too of course but why do your Rules discriminate against NUTZ? :D Oh, well, I suppose that lets me out :D

DG :cool:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

Great offer, Steve, and very generous, as is Elt too of course but why do your Rules discriminate against NUTZ? :D Oh, well, I suppose that lets me out :D

DG :cool:

Because fish love them but get little nutritional benefit from eating them. Whilst their guts are full of nuts there's no room for food that will put lots more weight on.

At one time a lot of tigers went into my Carp Lake. Growth slowed down, and on Bruno Broughton's advice I banned nuts (I'm normally against bans on principle). Growth rates quickly reverted to normal. Possibly coincidence, but I doubt it.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Exactly the same reason why i banned nuts on my carp lake too. I may well be able to come to this fish-in as birthday pressie if my dad agrees. 5th of June is my birthday, so I should be able to pursuade him!

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

quote:

Originally Posted by The Diamond Geezer:

why do your Rules discriminate against NUTZ?

Posted by Steve Burke:

Because fish love them but get little nutritional benefit from eating them. Whilst their guts are full of nuts there's no room for food that will put lots more weight on.

At one time a lot of tigers went into my Carp Lake. Growth slowed down, and on Bruno Broughton's advice I banned nuts (I'm normally against bans on principle). Growth rates quickly reverted to normal. Possibly coincidence, but I doubt it.

OK, makes a lot of sense. I think I'll have to do the same.

Cheers :)

DG

[ 15. May 2003, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Dear Steve

As ever a very generous offer.

My cousin and i came along to last years fish in and a had great time.

:) Would dearly love to go again...Wingham is beautifull place.

Have not been on the Angler's net for a while due to a change in jobs.

Rest assured the change from city work should leave more fishing time !! :D

Hope you are well! (and any one else who was at last years!!!)

Cheeers

John "The Block" Westley

Incredibly so far I've had just 2 bookings - Rob Ward & Leon. Just 2½ weeks to go, is no-one else interested? Oh well, even more room for them!

Please remember that you can book only by e-mailing me, not by posting on this thread.

sorry m8 working that weekend and even tho its localish to me i cant get there no public transport.

unless theres an offer of a lift for 2 from folkestone (of course i will pay petrol etc)

i am able to blag that weekend of work :D

[ 20. May 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: rickster ]

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

I won't be able to pick you up myself I'm afraid as I'll be at the lakes preparing everything for the Fish-In for a couple of days beforehand. Can anyone else help?