Catfish tips

chris mc

Hi,i've done variouse searches across the net looking tips on cat fishing(freshwater lakes),and can't find much at all,so i wos just woundering if anyone on here could give me some helpfull tips?

So far ive gathered they feed mostly of a night,and more in the hotter weather,they tend to feed on the bottom but sometimes will take small fish of the top.I read someware that there mouths are like sand paper and can rub against your line eventually causing it to snap,is there anyway round this,as i know wire traces rip there mouths to bits?

Cherrs

Hi Chris,I dont know about being the main man! but have done a lot of catting both here in the UK and abroad.I also worked as a guide for them as well.

Suprised you couldnt find anything on the Web to help you as there is quite a bit.To answer your initial questions though-

Although feeding mainly at night they can still be caught during the day.

Contary to popular belief they will feed at all depths.

Although they are sometimes caught on milder days in the winter summer is generaly more productive.

The "sand paper" effect is caused by the teeth or "pads" as they are called.These are best likened to velcro! they are used for both grabbing the prey and moving it down to their stomachs.Although not sharp like a pikes teeth they will wear through hook lengths.As you quite correctly say wire is not the answer here.I have always found that Kryston "Quicksilver" does the job here.It comes in several breaking strains from 25lb up to its beefed up version "Ton Up" in 85lb.I used the 25lb for fish up to 35lb in the UK and although I now use the Ton Up for all my foreign work I have had many treble figure cats on the standard 45lb.

Posted Image

Well hoped that answered your questions if there is anything else you would like to know just ask.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanx alot Budgie.I will give that "Quicksilver" a try.Just one last quick question wot bait do you yous as lose feed or is lose feed a no no?If so wots the best methord of getting it in?Spread it out though a session or all at once at the start?

Bait i will be using will be spam(half a tin on the hook :D ) and squid.

Much apperciated your advice cheers.

Most of my fishing has been with live/dead fish or worms.I have had a certain amount of sucsess baiting and prebaiting swims for prey fish which in turn attract the cats but very little experience with baiting up with the likes of boillies or luncheon merat or the likes.Have used trout pellet as a groundbait with both squid and liver hook baits but cant really offer much more on this one!

Budgie - speaking of liver hookbaits and if Wels are fond of the stuff (are they?) ...

Our channel catfish love chicken liver. Problem is the stuff is way too soft to remain on a hook well.

Two main ways of dealing with the problem

- take a square of women's hose and enclose the liver in that and hook thru the hose. Doesn't seem to put the fish off in the slightest and takes care of keeping liver on the hook and also keeps crays and small fish from nibbling your bait off.

- place liver on a tray and cover with garlic salt then set in the sun. Depending on the time of year and the amount of sunlight, turn it over after 4-10 hours and salt the other side then let it sit. Continue this process until the liver pieces have toughened (and turned dark while shrinking a bit). Can take one day in high summer or several days otherwise. Once finished the pieces will last for several weeks in the fridge. Note that this can also be done in a food dehydrator but not in an oven as the oven is too hot and turns the liver into a crumbly, worthless tray of pieces.

I have tried both the above with turkey livers and with slices of beef liver but for some reason, our catfish show a strong preference for chicken livers.

[ 10. November 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

just stick on a fishmeal boily and fish for carp ,youl get bream or cats

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Newt liver has long been a traditional cat bait in the UK.We tend to use Ox liver as this is a lot stronger smelling than the others we have avaiable.Never had a problem keeping it on and have found it best used fresh and dripping!