Fry

Colin Brett

On a similar vein as Peter Waller's Dragon Flies,

has anyone noticed the vast amounts of fry around this year?

Taking Grafham [again] as an example, I have fished here for 30 years and have never seen so many. It's literally fish soup.

I watched a shoal of about 20 Perch herding and showering the fry into the rocks in Marlow car park before smashing into them en mass. Spectacular or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin

My local reservoir has had Roach and Bream in it for 25 years "apparently". It was only 3 years ago that Roach started turning up even though Maggot had been used as Trout bait for years.

The thing is, the fry explosion over the last 2 years has been of plague like proportions.

The res was filled with hundreds of Pike of all sizes from another res 6 years ago and it nearly finished the place. There were Jacks all over for about 4 years but they now seem to be settling in numbers.

The Roach/Perch however seem to have somehow benefited from the Pike introduction. It may be that only the strongest Roach/Perch survived the onslaught and as a result, the breeding had been much more succesful. I,m not sure. The milder Winters and extended breeding times also have a lot to play in the waters recovery.

I,m definately looking forward to the next few years. The small Roach will become big Roach. The Perch will once again proliferate after the last virus outbreak and the Pike?....well hopefully they will stabilise, decrease in number and increase in weight. Great!

The water is definately on the up. All I need to do now is locate one of these pesky Bream. I,ll be damned if I can find 'em.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Massive shoals of fry in the Tees at the moment, obviously been a cracking spawning year.

Also huge shoals of Dace & roach around the 2-3" mark so clearly good spawning conditions last year as well, hope they survive the Cormorants as they get bigger.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

ive noticed alot of small fry at a local commercial water, but they wernt there last year so something must be different! you litterally cant fish because you cant get your float in without it being attacked. there not quietr big enough yet but in a year or two it will get very interesting.

it's the same in the Ribble this year, it looks like a jacuzi - never seen it like that before :confused:

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

same at our club water in a nature reserve, absolutly teeming with the little blighters. We may have to remove some to prevent stunting.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

ditto on my local canal. hopefully not only will it lead to an increase in size of the pike and perch, but also the chubb which are coming out around the 1 to 2lb mark atm.

quote:

Originally posted by Colin Brett:

I watched a shoal of about 20 Perch herding and showering the fry into the rocks in Marlow car park before smashing into them en mass.

Blimey! You'd think you'd be safe sitting in the car-park wouldn't you? :D And those rocks can wreck your sump if you don't watch-out! :rolleyes:

Still, you can't really criticise the perch for having a fry-up in the car-park as it's something I do all the time :D

DG :cool:

[ 07. August 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

it's the same in the Ribble this year, it looks like a jacuzi - never seen it like that before

why the questioning sad face at the end of the post? it could mean the return of the rivers.

bast**d cormorants

rich

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail