Its a Shocker is this!!

Mally

davidP:

davidP:

What do you all make of this?

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised. Many many venues, commercial or otherwaise have taken fish 'no questions asked'. You'd be absolutely amazed how many barbel have 'walked' from the Severn to other venues!
Probably about as many as 'walked' into the Severn in the first place! :D LOL

Well said Rob, I would not mind betting that at least half the fisheries in this country have benefited from stock obtained from some other lake or river.

No one needed a section 30 to stock the Severn with barbel!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark:

Well said Rob,  I would not mind betting that at least half the fisheries in this country have benefited from stock obtained from some other lake or river.

Den

Nor to pollute Loch Lomond with Ruffe :rolleyes:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

corydoras:

corydoras:

Well said Rob,  I would not mind betting that at least half the fisheries in this country have benefited from stock obtained from some other lake or river.

Den

Ruffe got into Loch Lomond the same way they got into the Lake District, USA, Mexico, etc through ballast water in boats. In LD LL it was ballast water in pleasure craft. It really is that simple. No clandestine pikers transporting buckets of ruffe up North over the boarder. Sorry to disappoint its pleasure craft period!

phil h.

phil hackett:

phil hackett:

phil hackett:

Den

Ruffe got into Loch Lomond the same way they got into the Lake District, USA, Mexico, etc through ballast water in boats. In LD LL it was ballast water in pleasure craft. It really is that simple. No clandestine pikers transporting buckets of ruffe up North over the boarder. Sorry to disappoint its pleasure craft period!
I am sorry but I must beg to differ. I know Loch Lomond very well. I was born and brought up in the district. There are no pleasure craft on the Loch that are big enough to have ballast tanks. The only vessel on the Loch that is big enough to have ballast tanks is the Maid of The Loch, but she was prefabricated in Glasgow, shipped to Balloch in pieces and then re-assembled on at a purpose built slipway. This is because she was far to big to sail or be towed up the River Leven.

One could not get anything much bigger than a sixteen foot cabin cruiser up the River Leven in the summer months because the water would not be deep enough in some stretches. One could have a bash in the winter, but you would be mad to try, after all the Leven is the second fastest flowing river in Scotland. That would still leave you with the impossible task of actually sailing your boat over the dam Balloch.

Maybe what you mean is that the ruffe were introduced into the loch in the bilges of pleasure craft. To be honest I do'nt swallow that theory. In my experience bilge water very quickly becomes de-oxygenated and stagnant and will not support life as complex as a fish and anyway how do the fish get into the bilge in the first place?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In Suffolk near Great Blackenham and Claydon on the river Gipping there are loads of ponds and gravel pits all near each other but under different ownerships and clubs controls.

Two years ago a bloke caught the first ever 40lb river carp and it made all of the angling rags.

He even claimed the river carp record.

Somebody recognised the carp as they had caught it in one of there pits.

The bloke admitted him and some mates had caught the carp from ANOTHER pit and put it in the river to re-catch so that one of them (whoever caught it first) would make a name for themselves (hence the reason in the angling rags " I used this that and the other" (In the hope of FREE gear)).

After investigation the carp had lived in at least four different pits in that area in as many years and it is thought probably more.

There is still a dispute as to who owns the fish.

They all say it moved from pit to pit during flooding.

There is a standing joke among carp anglers that this fish has its own section 30 along with a passport as it is a dodgy Dutch import anyway.

Every angler in the area knows it has been moved by poachers or caught and sold by club members as some of the pits dont get flooded!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!