norfolk broads

ben88

I'm not being harsh on new pikers, I'm being harsh on old pikers who should know better, I'm being harsh on people who don't care, I'm being harsh on those who shouldn't be allowed near a pike. Good pike fisheries are soon ruined by the above.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok fair point, but when people ask for advice on a place to fish even if you dont want to post it on a public forum a response could be emailed or priovate messaged to the person.

hmmmm really

and i nearly did catch my first pike on a water in trench nr telford. i was using a rapala lure...not sure of the type but it was streamlined and about 4inches long coloured very brightly with green and orange and 2 sets of trebles. first i had a couple of follows from some perch bout 3 foot out the on the next cast i just saw a flash of underbelly and a splash on the surface in about 2 foot of water...unfornutately the pike attacked jsut as i was lfted the lure out of the water to recast so i failed to hook the pike..it was a small jack only bout a foot long or something but that feeling in the pit of your stomache is unbeatable...lets say i will be returning there to catch a pike, or even a perch.

hmmmm really

No newbies here on anglersnet Ben. all born with REAL pike rods in their hands lying on a pike mat instead of a crib. You're right mate, too much old fanny about 'correctness' in pike fishing. My best allround pike rod was a 12 foot carp rod for three seasons. Met its end on the Sportsmans Broad a long time ago. But it caught pike.

[ 20. July 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

any "newbie" pike angler with a ounze of common sense would be welcomed anywhere i think. Its those who go with out a landing net, or any of the right tackle. Those who dont want to learn. Those who wont take anyones advice even tho they might of been fishing for 20 years for pike. Those you havent got a clue and think anyone can catch and land a pike and not cause it any unnessercery (SP) harm. Those are the ones i have a problem with. I once went down the canal near here in about october time and there was this bloke fishing for pike useing a roach must of been best part of 1 1/2lb with 3 yes 3 trbles and 6lb mono. Abit intriged as to what he was doing i asked him and you could imagine what i said when he said he was pike fishing. I explained that he needs different trace materials ( ended up giving him about 3 traces. He needed a bigger landing net a spoon net wont cut it with pike. A couple of pairs of forceps. He caught 3 pike that day and i hope he took my adivce and went and got the correct gear.

Those are the type of "newbies" i will help.

I wont help the ones when you explain that they gonna be in trouble if they hook a pike and then i get told to f@@@ off or similer

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

as this was my first time pike fishing the first thing i did befor the session was to buy a couple of wire traces and wind some 17lb berkly biggame mono onto my reel which is a size 50 epix pro. the rod i was using was a carp rod with 2.5 lb test curve but after the session and enjoying it so much i am going to get myself a deccent lure rod...any advice on what sort of casting weight to look for would be appreciated.

i borrowed a specimin carp landingnet and i did have an unhooking mat, even thought neither were used.

if i do got a lure rod, what size of reel would be correct.

i have seen people catching gudgion on the canal and simply changing there hooks to a bigger size then hooking the baitfish through the top lip to try and catch pike and perch, and even though i really dont know how to live bait correctly i dont try it and did tell the offenders they were incorrect. they soon stopped what they were doing.

hmmmm really

If you stick with fixed spool ben88, then your Epix 50 is plenty big enough. Buy yourself another Epix 50 spool and load it with 30-50lb braid, 100yds plus should easily fit on the spool. Dont use your 17lb mono for lures, it's just not up to continued casting and it'll eventually end in tears (and a crack off )

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I use a shimano exage travel spinning rod that breaks down into five sections. You will find a spinning rod makes all the difference, as a carp rod doesn’t really put the required action into the lure. I use a fixed spool reel, although the more experienced lure anglers use a multiplier loaded with braid. Using a proper spinning rod I feel has made all the difference to my lure fishing and don’t forget occasionally a big old chub will often attack your lure so have fun

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

the onlly problem with braid is that i have found it to be veryexpensive to but enough to fill a big spool and with my limited funds i cant afford it....is any mono line good enough

hmmmm really