Experts agree on the first international guidelines on responsible recreational fisheries

An International Expert Consultation convened by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) agreed today on the first international guidelines on responsible recreational fisheries.

The Technical Guidelines, which will be brought to the attention of the FAO Committee on Fisheries (COFI), support sustainable recreational fisheries in context of the FAO Code of Conduct of Responsible Fisheries and were prepared following calls from FAO member states for guidance on recreational fisheries as a rapidly rising form of use of wild fish populations.

http://www.fao.org/fishery/nems/39974/en

(It is foreseen that the guidelines will be published and disseminated by FAO starting in November 2011.

Six translations of the document will be provided and published online at http://www.fao.org/fishery/ccrf/guidelines/en)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Promoting responsible recreational fisheries on a global scale

Recreational Fisheries experts agreed today on the first international guidelines on responsible recreational fisheries.

Berlin, 6 August 2011

An International Expert Consultation composed of 20 experts from academia, policy and NGOs, convened by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), agreed today on the first international guidelines on responsible recreational fisheries.

These guidelines support sustainable recreational fisheries in context of the implementation of the FAO Code of Conduct of Responsible Fisheries.

The Technical Guidelines, which will be brought to the attention of the FAO Committee on Fisheries (COFI), have been prepared following calls from FAO member states for guidance on recreational fisheries as a rapidly rising form of use of wild fish populations.

In many regions of the world recreational fishing is an important leisure activity. About 10% of the global population go fishing during their leisure time, and the number of recreational fishers is likely to be in excess of 140 million worldwide.

Several million jobs world-wide depend on recreational fisheries as related expenditures adds up to billions of US$ annually.

In some regions in the world the generation of income and employment by recreational fisheries is higher than those of commercial fisheries or aquaculture, and the interaction among the various fishing sectors is usally intensive as recreational fisheries demand stocking material or co-exploit fisheries, e.g., Atlantic cod. Recreational fishing now constitute the dominant use of wild fish stocks in all freshwaters of industrialized countries, and in many coastal ones.

Its importance is rapidly increasing in many economies in transition.

The technical guidelines on recreational fisheries now developed through an international consultative process translate the relevant provisions of the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries into specific advice for sustainable recreational fisheries.

The document is specifically directed at fisheries policy makers, fisheries managers, other decision makers, NGO representatives and recreational fishers and other stakeholders.

The guidelines cover all types of recreational fisheries (e.g., harvest-oriented angling, total catch-and-release fishing) in all environments (marine, coastal and inland) and are global in scope.

The concept of aquatic stewardship is introduced as an overarching Zeitgeist needed to achieve sustainable recreational fisheries on a global scale.

Other major management approaches introduced in the present technical guidelines for responsible recreational fisheries include the ecosystem approach, the precautionary approach and adaptive management using structured decision-making based on quantifiable management objectives.

The guidelines acknowledge and specifically emphasize the immense benefits of recreational fisheries and the important contribution of recreational fishers to maintaining aquatic biodiversity and in terms of conservation of endangered species, their habitats and the aquatic ecosystems in general.

Therefore, the interests of recreational fisheries should be considered in all decisions affecting aquatic ecosystems.

At the same time, the potential impacts of recreational fisheries on aquatic ecosystems need to be addressed. The guidelines address real or likely damage induced by non- or badly managed recreational fisheries to fish stocks, biodiversity and the aquatic environment.

Because the objectives of recreational fisheries as well as other socio-economic and governance aspects differ from those in commercial fisheries and the aquaculture sectors, a range of issues such as the potential for selective overexploitation, species introductions, and stocking of water bodies need to be dealt with differently in recreational fisheries.

The guidelines emphasize the various pathways towards sustainable fisheries using a range of tools and approaches to the management of recreational fisheries.

The Expert Consultation to develop the FAO Technical Guidelines for Responsible Fisheries: Recreational Fisheries, was hosted by the Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB) on 5-6 August 2011 after the Sixth World Recreational Fishing Conference took place at Humboldt-University of Berlin on August, 1-4, 2011. It is foreseen that the guidelines will be published and disseminated by FAO starting in November 2011.

It is then when six translations of the document will be provided and published online at http://www.fao.org/fishery/ccrf/guidelines/en

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

These experts from other countries are going to tell me how to conduct myself while i go angling, they can s@d right off. What are they gonna tell me to do after i have spent all of my life angling, what do they know that i don't. hook sizes, catch and release, where to go or not to go, they won't have a clue. If i don't know i ask a skipper, who's gonna have a more knowledge base than guys who do it day in and day out. Bl@@dy bonkers. I spend half me time aboard sorting out others to ensure they have a good day, free of charge and no obligations. Suppose there's gonna be a law against that as well.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

These experts from other countries are going to tell me how to conduct myself while i go angling, they can s@d right off. What are they gonna tell me to do after i have spent all of my life angling, what do they know that i don't. hook sizes, catch and release, where to go or not to go, they won't have a clue. If i don't know i ask a skipper, who's gonna have a more knowledge base than guys who do it day in and day out. Bl@@dy bonkers. I spend half me time aboard sorting out others to ensure they have a good day, free of charge and no obligations. Suppose there's gonna be a law against that as well.

You could become a consultant Barry, Jobs for the boys and all that. It looks as if a lot of tax payer’s money is going to be spent in preparation for a mountain of bureaucracy that will eventually be administered and controlled from the private sector.

Flapper.

barry,

""An International Expert Consultation composed of 20 experts from academia, policy and NGOs, convened by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), agreed today on the first international guidelines on responsible recreational fisheries.""

That seems noble enough to me?

I doubt the intend to include any "old fogies" like you and me in the "guidlines". I'd say if they get the word "recreational" defined before I die they will have accomplished something.

Like it or not - the world is getting smaller. (I for one don't like it).

I'd be curious if there is even ONE recreational angler among the 20 experts. No question, they'll speak for the next generation - but not ours.

Phone

I spend half me time aboard sorting out others to ensure they have a good day, free of charge and no obligations. Suppose there's gonna be a law against that as well.

I'll second that Barry....a better friend you'd be hard pressed to find on a boat...totally willing to give time, tackle and advice....and all with a smile....not that you'd know that from some of your posts :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I'll second that Barry....a better friend you'd be hard pressed to find on a boat...totally willing to give time, tackle and advice....and all with a smile....not that you'd know that from some of your posts :P

And never the two should meet. Politics and angling. :rolleyes:

It's just me having a bit of sadistic fun on here Worms, you know me so well. :lol:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

That´s pretty clear to me as well. Never met Barry, i disagree with some of the stuff he puts up, but i bet if we met i would let him buy me beer all night......Not that English crap though, it would have to be a superior Spanish beer................

That´s pretty clear to me as well. Never met Barry, i disagree with some of the stuff he puts up, but i bet if we met i would let him buy me beer all night......Not that English crap though, it would have to be a superior Spanish beer................

Although i dissagree with some of the cr@p you put up i would definatly buy you a pint or two or three captain,purly for the entertainment you have provided. :D:whistling:

Na joking, me and you would be mates. :)

inglish beer, yuc, Scottish or Irish whisky, whiskey, yummie.

Edited by barry luxton