What are your Favourite Fish to Catch?

Dales

Favourite Fish  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite fish to catch? (Choose only one)

• Roach
    • Rudd
    • Chub
    • Barbel
    • Carp
    • Crucian Carp
    • Bream
    • Pike
    • Perch
    • Zander
    • Eel
    • Catfish
    • Salmon
    • Trout
    • Charr
    • Grayling
    • Exotic Carp Koi/Ghost/Grass/Gibel Carp/Goldfish etc
    • Sturgeon/Sterlet
    • Other, Dace, Ruff, Bleak, Stone Loach, Bull Head, Ide, Orfe, Bass etc
    • Tench
  2. 2. What are your other favourites (choose 1 to 5 species include choice from question 1)

• Roach
    • Rudd
    • Chub
    • Barbel
    • Carp
    • Crucian Carp
    • Bream
    • Pike
    • Perch
    • Zander
    • Eel
    • Catfish
    • Salmon
    • Trout
    • Charr
    • Grayling
    • Exotic Carp Koi/Ghost/Grass/Gibel Carp/Goldfish etc
    • Sturgeon/Sterlet
    • Other,Dace, Bleak, Stone Loach, Bull head, Ide, Bass etc
    • Tench
  3. 3. Which would you catch and eat if allowed? Choose as many as you want.

• Roach, Rudd, Dace
    • Chub
    • Barbel
    • Carp (include exotics, Goldfish etc)
    • Crucian Carp
    • Pike
    • Perch
    • Zander
    • Eel
    • Catfish
    • Salmon
    • Trout
    • Charr
    • Grayling
    • Sturgeon/sterlet
    • Bleak
    • Gudgeon
    • Other, Bream/Ruff/Bull Heads/Stone Loach/Lamprey/Sun Fish/Bass
    • Tench
    • None

You could be prosecuted for starting a riot after posting that :D , but as a whole we tend to be well rounded individuals on this site but imagine what would happen if that got posted on one of those other fishing forums that other people might frequent :o

I have posted it on another site Stephen. The result wasn't pretty, and I had to explain that I did know who my father was. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have posted it on another site Stephen. The result wasn't pretty, and I had to explain that I did know who my father was. :D

John.

But a very sensable way to deal with there problem down under and seems like a good way to deal with the Silver carp issue in the US.

Maybe the Aussies could turn there imported European Carp in to fish meal pellets and export them back to Europe to be used for Carp Fishing and if they run short we could export some more Carp back to Australia as breeding stock and then they could export the Carp Meal Pellets back to Europe etc, etc ,etc :D

Who said invasive species are a bad thing, with a little entrepreneurial flair you could launch whole industries around them. So you loose a little native flora and fauna along the way but think of all the positive commercial out comes if we were over run with non natives like the Aussies :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Haven't you got any otters in the States Phone? After all, every UK carp angler knows that otters will eat all of the carp in a fishery overnight....problem sorted :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Haven't you got any otters in the States Phone? After all, every UK carp angler knows that otters will eat all of the carp in a fishery overnight....problem sorted :thumbs:

They have bears, which can eat all the fish and the anglers....problem sorted!

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Worms,

Emma's right. But to answer your question specifically = yes. Otters are native (thought you'ld like that). They actually play a pretty important role in the balance of nature over here. One execption, the "smallmouth bass" and "white bass" guys hate them. Sort of, not anything near what I read about otters in the UK. Someone will tell you the equalivant of these two species. It was a big deal (positive deal pretty much by all involved that they were re-introduced into our Ozark National Forest 4 or 5 years ago. Nothing can desimate a population like humans. That's what happened to the otters down there.

It's really hard to "explain" how many fish we have. We are really really blessed. Thankfully, everyday more people start to notice that fact.

Phone

Worms,

Just so you know there are not enough otters on the planet to make a difference I've cut and pasted a couple selective paragraphs about Utah Lake. If this doesn't give you the message I don't know how I can.

Here it is! (For the carp guy, don't bytch, tell us what to do - we'll listen to any suggestions - no matter how silly).

""SALT LAKE CITY -- What do you do if you have 100 million ugly fish in the wrong place? If you're the federal government, you steer a million dollars toward the problem and hope it will do some good. That's what began happening in Utah Wednesday. The federal government issued a check to pay for a large-scale commercial fishing operation on Utah Lake.

There are 100 million carp, but the goal is to tackle the 7 million biggest ones to create a cleaner lake that's more fun to fish.

They're big, they're slimy, they're ugly. Not everyone's idea of a tasty treat. "To eat? It's not my first choice," said commercial fisherman Bill Loy.He has caught more than a million pounds (edit: Phone, that's in 2008 in the "pilot" program) of carp in a government pilot program. Now he's revving it up, thanks to a carp-shaped check for a million dollars, intended to drive a stake through the heart of the carp population."" [You probably guessed, carp are not very well liked in Utah]

Phone again - the byline is 2008 - the project is renewed annually and currently the catch is up around 5 or 6 million pounds (total weight is just a guess on my part) of 4 to 6 lb fish . Since the state of Utah, and the fish, are so far from any processor the worst possible outcome is what happens to these fish (can you say backhoe). Each 6 lb carp has up to 300,000 babies a year.

Frankly I hate it - but what can you do?? This is NOT THE ONLY EXAMPLE I could site.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Worms,

Just so you know there are not enough otters on the planet to make a difference I've cut and pasted a couple selective paragraphs about Utah Lake. If this doesn't give you the message I don't know how I can.

Here it is! (For the carp guy, don't bytch, tell us what to do - we'll listen to any suggestions - no matter how silly).

""SALT LAKE CITY -- What do you do if you have 100 million ugly fish in the wrong place? If you're the federal government, you steer a million dollars toward the problem and hope it will do some good. That's what began happening in Utah Wednesday. The federal government issued a check to pay for a large-scale commercial fishing operation on Utah Lake.

There are 100 million carp, but the goal is to tackle the 7 million biggest ones to create a cleaner lake that's more fun to fish.

They're big, they're slimy, they're ugly. Not everyone's idea of a tasty treat. "To eat? It's not my first choice," said commercial fisherman Bill Loy.He has caught more than a million pounds (edit: Phone, that's in 2008 in the "pilot" program) of carp in a government pilot program. Now he's revving it up, thanks to a carp-shaped check for a million dollars, intended to drive a stake through the heart of the carp population."" [You probably guessed, carp are not very well liked in Utah]

Phone again - the byline is 2008 - the project is renewed annually and currently the catch is up around 5 or 6 million pounds (total weight is just a guess on my part) of 4 to 6 lb fish . Since the state of Utah, and the fish, are so far from any processor the worst possible outcome is what happens to these fish (can you say backhoe). Each 6 lb carp has up to 300,000 babies a year.

Frankly I hate it - but what can you do?? This is NOT THE ONLY EXAMPLE I could site.

Phone

You don't have to tell me about otters Phone....although I appreciate the courtesy...try telling the UK carp noddies!

Interesting point, when I saw your age a while ago I dicn't think that you'd be up for a bit of a wind up...obviously you are...more to come no doubt B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

:thumbs:

And we think we have problems some times when we go fishing :D

Phone

Do your Fish and Wildlife Service guys provide any guidence on what to do if a Bear starts to take interest in you or your catch while out fishing?

Run, Scream, Panic, Stay calm, Climb a tree, Chuck rocks at it, Chuck your rod in the water, Shoot it, Sing if you go down to the woods today.........

Or is it best just to trip your mate up and empty your packed lunch on him. Then let him know how much your freindship used to mean to you then run away as fast as your legs will carry you :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales,

Access to some waters are limited during salmon runs. Other than that, you are pretty much on your own, There are "parks" where bears intercept traffic and look for handouts from noddie campers and families on vacation. Lots of signs that say "Don't Feed The Bears". People think they are safe inside a car. BAD MISTAKE! Still, they feed the bears anyway. The "best" advice is the same over here as it is over there. Use common sense when a "situation arises". It is stupid people who usually get in harms way.

From a sport fisherman point of view "bears" aren't really a huge problem. The purist, you know the guy who goes solo grayling (or is it greyling) fishing in a pristine stream in the spring does run a slight risk. I confess, I haven't done any "excursion" fishing since the 1970's. In those days you "packed with a purpose" (I liked a 45 cal long colt for the ft/lbs of energy it could generate). In today's political environment I'm just not sure what "the right thing to do" really is.

The best person to ask is Budgie I suspect. The bear's favorite "deterent" is baked goods. Donuts were always at hand and really really do work. Forget the fact the bear smelled the donuts in the first place, that's why he came around. Unless, of course, you get between a sow and her cub. That's the worst possible circumstance. No win for the interloper(sp).

Phone

My "best ever" such trip was 600 miles from the nearest telephone. You have no idea what a relief that can be for the soul to count 30 or more varieties of moss without moving an inch.