Should we have a ban on Summer Pike fishing?

Dales

Ban on Summer Piking  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Summer Piking be banned

• Yes - Ban For Dead Baiting
    • Yes - Ban for Live Baiting Only
    • Yes - Ban for Lure Fishing
    • No
  2. 2. Who should make decisions on any Pike Season

• Venue Owner or Club etc
    • Government Agency EA etc
    • Angling Trust
    • PAC
    • Individual Angler
  3. 3. Does anyone Pike fish in the Summer?

• Yes with Dead baits
    • Yes with Lures
    • Yes with Live baits
    • No
    • Used to but no longer
    • Would like to but dont as feel pressured its wrong

If livebaits are banned and you have access to a boat, why not try drop-shotting? I bet that would sort those perch out.

We have drifted the deeper water with a small jig, baited with lobworm over the side which picks the odd one up during the early Autumn.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have drifted the deeper water with a small jig, baited with lobworm over the side which picks the odd one up during the early Autumn.

Sounds fun. I've never coarse fished any of the Lakes but I've fly fished for the trout from a boat on Ullswater a few times, which is always fantastic. My parents live in Penrith so it's a good excuse to go and bother the troot!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

That is something I've been meaning to have a go at for years and never got round to it, there are some decent perch in there by some accounts too.

Ullswater is a fairly decent perch water, I have had 'em over 2lbs ledgering from the steamer jetty at Howtown (half way up the lake on the southern shore), you get trout like that too, so there must be some proper big ones in there somewhere. I havn't been since the year before last because there are better places closer.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Especially the last three Winters when the big lakes were frozen over for several weeks and the gales of this year coinciding with your free time.

Out of interest , do you know of anyone locally who regularly catches perch between October & March in the lakes

I don't know of anyone who has ever even seen a perch (in our waters) during that period. I have records of catching them in September, but none after that. Doubtless there will be somone out there (perhaps reading this and head shaking to themselves) who catch perch (and pike) all through the winter, no bother, but it's not for the ordinary angler. I claim enthusiasm, the willingness to put in the hours and to go out in aome pretty harsh conditions I don't claim extra special skills (whatever they are), and so it's beyond me.

I had a conversation at the end of summer with an angler who I believe to be a decent piker, I asked hm how he fared through the winter, his somewhat dipomatic reply was, 'oh I like to get out and have a go in the winter' ...well so do I but what I meant was 'do you catch anything'?

As you point out the weather is significant too. This winter all of the decent shore areas are under water (have you been to Beck Wythop lately), and even so I follow the notion that most of the pike on those types of waters will be out of shore casting range anyway. I havn't noted a day which would have been pleasurable or safe (large waves gales force winds and a low power electric motor) to launch the boat.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I don't know of anyone who has ever even seen a perch (in our waters) during that period.

Me neither.

As you point out the weather is significant too. This winter all of the decent shore areas are under water (have you been to Beck Wythop lately), and even so I follow the notion that most of the pike on those types of waters will be out of shore casting range anyway. I havn't noted a day which would have been pleasurable or safe (large waves gales force winds and a low power electric motor) to launch the boat.

lake was in the fields last week when I was past, and not had the boat out since November due to gales.Been a a good day for a drifter float today too :D

Sounds fun. I've never coarse fished any of the Lakes but I've fly fished for the trout from a boat on Ullswater a few times, which is always fantastic. My parents live in Penrith so it's a good excuse to go and bother the troot!

You might want to take your trotting gear up with you one time and have a crack at one of the stretches of the River Eden that allow Coarse Fishing ;)

You might want to take your trotting gear up with you one time and have a crack at one of the stretches of the River Eden that allow Coarse Fishing ;)

Sounds good, cheers Rob! I've fly fished a lot of the little streams around the Lakes for mini-brownies which is fun, but never fished the main rivers. The Eden looks lovely.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm Happy to report that thw winter has offered up something. I had a go today with a new set up, a Savage gear 'Bushwacker' rod and a Shimano Catana (3000), 9kg powerpro and a selection of lures and spinners in the 10-40g range. Around midday I took 2 jacks within 2 minutes of each other on a rapala x rap (small silver). It wasn't on one of our big glacial lakes though, but still they are the first January pike I have recorded locally, all I have to do now is manage one in December and I will have covered each month.

I still maintain that the depth of winter is a poor time fpr piking, and for the time, thought and effort I put into todays session on that water I would have expected half a dozen, still it is encouraging and I shall be out again (conditions allowing) this week.

IMG0159A.jpg

IMG0161A.jpg

PS: I shan't be biting back to any comments about the absence of a unhooking mat, that grouns is like a wet sponge and it was raining heavily too.

Edited by Emma two