CarpWaggler

I have and use cane rods both solid and built/split

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone on this forum use a cane rod?

i use one for float fishing.

You could find a lot of like-minded persons in post USSR countries. There are a lot of people use cane rods for fishing in our country too. They have different reasons to use such tackle

Ones use them, because they have no money to buy new modern "carbon" rod

Others use them, because they go to fish only for the sake of intercourse with nature, and they don't care about their catches.

I can say only one, you certainly not alone.

All,

I bet Vagabond can tell you about linen, silk, rayon and even cotton fishing line too. Then came nylon. Today’s angler is incredibly spoiled when it comes to fishing line. I'm afraid I don't have even a strand of old "braid" fishing line laying around any longer. If the production of spider silk ever becomes industrially viable, it could replace Kevlar and be used to make a diverse range of fishing lines (especially in these politically "eco-friendly times). Although I've never seen them, I read that the people of the Solomon Islands still use spider silk for their fish nets.

I always promised myself it I had enough money I'd have new fishing stuff. What a pain in the arce that old stuff is. We had to wash the line after every session or it would rot. How much fun is that??

Phone

Yes, if possible; bamboozling seems more fun than carbonating them. I've no idea why, some daft hotch-potch of nostalgia and cussedness, at a guess.

Current heart-throbs are a Black Seal I've "done up", which despite being reduced to make ferrules fit (by the maker, NOT ME, honest!!!) coped with a foul-hooked carp not much shy of a score;

-a "Harcol" (any info gratefully welcomed!) Nottingham pattern, my "go to" rod for chub up to medium carping;

-a beefy 11' general "bottom" rod (split cane tip section, butt and middle whole)which may be a Milbro Champion, to back-up the Harcol if I want to fish one out, one in the edge, this being the edge rod;

-an all-built-cane Rodrill, if there's more chance of carp,

-a 10' Milbro bottom rod, for small-fish pottering, and

-a Hardy Lightweight, for small fish with absolutely NO chance of a carp or big tench wrecking it!

None of these is a precious collectable; breaking one of those would hurt too much, and fear inhibits good angling, especially in jungly swims where, perversely, the underarm cast, to which cane-and-pin lend themselves, come so clearly into their own.

Yes, I have a few. The one I mainly use is a Chapman's 500, 10' Avon rod. It has a lovely action.

My absolute favourite for rolling cheese for chub on the Teme :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Now! About this reference to my dress code and what's all this about centrepins which without the ability to use ones standing as a complete ti* Oop! angler must surely come into question...hehehe

I feel as if someone is trying to imply I look a complete plonker...I'll have you know sir these clothes were worn to the coronation of HRH Edward VII...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I feel as if someone is trying to imply I look a complete plonker

As if B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I've often thought about trying one but I'm not sure about the weight for all day trotting. A nice Avon would be an alternative I guess, buying second hand would be a minefield if you don't know anything about them though (and I don't).

Then there's the direct route...... http://www.barder-rod.co.uk/index.aspx

It's never a 'six', let's put it back