What is the best fish youve ever caught? ( no lieing!)

tim d

I have 3 fish that shine out from all the other beauties.

The First was a a 5lb ish mirror carp. It had a real game plan to get rid of me, first take me to the overhanging brambles, then lose me at the end of the pool and finally to bury me in the silt in the middle. All on a 3lb hooklength. I have caught bigger but this was one of the best. All on simple maggot.

Second On a tranquil lake/pond a small 1/2lb tench played a merry game on a whip. It even leapt over the reeds to lose me! My jaw was open.

Third On a 3m wide, 30 cm deep section on the upper Stour (suff) I caught a 3lb chub that came from nowhere to take a fly on floating line.

However each fish that I catch always appears the best at that time....... especially the beautiful rudd. Somehow this trio still stay as fresh memories.

"Muddlin' along"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thousands of 'memorable' captures......my first 20lb+ carp in 1970; the first twenty on a surface bait in winter; fighting two thirties on two rods at the same time; two forties on same stalking session, first fifty on float tackle, first 30lb+ barbel, first 10lb+ eel, first 5lb+ crucian, first 4lb+ roach, first....etc, but I suppose, when I look at things in awesome fighting qualities that gave me the most memorable moments in fishing, it has to be when I caught a 700lb+ sturgeon from the boiling currents of the mighty Columbia River.

Disregarding size - In sheer magic moments, maybe that first tiny red-bellied stickleback from a tiny Scottish River, that looked so huge to my young eyes, and made my blood rush into my heart with pumping excitement...... was a special magic that sent me on the long and winding road of angling passion. :)

Probably the most memorable moments can also be felt when that monster fish you've spent so many hours, weeks or years to hook, suddenly pulls free at the net....

There is nothing quite like that feeling, deep down in your stomach, squeezing it into a tight knot, as you stare at the line hanging from your rod top and swaying in the breeze...

GLOBETROTTER main website:

http://www.wildcarp.com

GLOBE'S GALLERY:

http://www.wilderness-photo.co.uk

New CARP 2006 CALENDAR:

http://www.pinkkipperpublishing.co.uk

EUROPEAN Website:

http://www.westerlaan-publisher.com

Globe's got a good point there.I still think about a mullet I lost at Paignton harbour when In was 12 years old! A boat went across my line whilst I was playing it.That was over 30 years and god knows how many mullet ago!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

tim d:

Whats the best fish youve ever caught?

For lots of reasons this has to be one of my best, not just because it was a PB but because of the magic weekend we had. 173lbs Alan%20pb%20173.jpg

The year before though.........I won't go into it here, if you are interested go to the Articles section. I wrote (tried to write) an article, Leviathans from the deep.

Cheers

Alan

[ 08. September 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

For fighting power..a 10lb Trevally caught from a beach lure fishing. What a fluke! I was only after garfish.

Using 15lb line and a telescopic carp rod, it took me a good half hour or so to land it. My whole body ached, and my right arm seized up from playing the fish onto the beach.

It was like hooking the reef, but the reef fought back.

For size...a 42lb Dolphinfish on 20lb line will always remain in my mind, from the same trip, in Tobago.

The best would be a big black 27lb 5oz mirror carp I stalked on Saturday. Awesome, a carp dreams are made of.

I have caught many fish over the years, but what has really stuck in my memory are the days spent on the River Teme as a lad with a 1 Shilling, single hook, small silver spinner, catching Twaite Shad as they came up river, boy did they tug, run and jump, not that big, a good one about 3lbs or so, but I still have the images in my minds eye. Old bye gone days, eh!

Does anyone know if they still come up?