Losing interest in fishing-What is happening to me!

davedave

All,

I think successful anglers can almost always talk in "WE" as opposed to "I". It's hard to find a compatible angling "buddy" and even harder when you loose them.

My advice look for more "we" in your angling.

Phone

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fished extensively in my teens and then kind of fell out of it when I started working, etc. Almost 20 years later (drink/marriage/career/children) and I'm back, an obsessed carper chasing a 20lber! Wish I had not left it so long!

Gary.

I have to agree with everyone else as the same happened to me too. As soon as college and uni hit there was a very dark period in my life where I didnt fish at all and never thought about it at all :o . It was always in my blood however and eventually my brother asked me to go on a fishing trip with him and I did. Ever since that day my passion has been rekindled. There are only so many things you can fit into your life dave and you certainly dont want to push the women and fun to one side to cling on to angling. It will most certainly stay with you for life and once you have left uni you will soon be looking for things to make the humdrum world of work more bearable such as looking forward to the weekend to get down to the river. Once angling gets into your blood it is almost impossible to cure.

Sadly I can forsee a decline in my angling once more as myself and the wife have found out we have a little one on the way in march next year. I anticipate my angling will have to take a back seat once more as changing nappies and other such baby related stuff will become the priority. As soon as he/she is old enough however I will have the chance to rekindle the passion once more and hopefully introduce my child to the best sport in the world, I am so excited about it as you always remember the first magical experiences with your father as a youngster and i want to share those moments with a child of my own. I wonder how old a child has to be before it has the strength to hold a float rod :lol:

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

It happened to me too, you're probably getting sick of reading it now but its something that most of us reflect upon, once in a while.

The usual suspects, Women, Drink, Work/College, 'Chemical Experimentation' and Motorbikes. They all took priority over Fishing. They were 'new' and I forgot the simple pleasures of freezing my butt off next to a deadbait rod while my fingers turned blue...

Now I have met a woman who I want to live my life with AND who freely lets me indulge my passion (deadbaits are next to the frozen chips lol). I drink to relax, not party my arse off and wake up somewhere really random. I grew out of drugs (just say NO! :lol:).

Work lets me afford my passion. A car gets me there. I still ride a bike but its more a tool, than a way of life like it used to be.

Like the others have said, it happens. Don't force it. Live EVERY aspect of life. Get 'laid' (sorry ladies), get drunk, get a job/degree, get a car (not all at the same time though, having drunk sex in the back of a car is fine, just not before or during your exam/interview).

You're only young once (WTF! I'm only 27, why am I saying it like I'm nearly dead already?) Fishing is something you will return to in time. We'll probably still be here.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Yes happens to all of us at some time(s) or other Dave so don't worry to much! Variety helps prevent it.The more "defined" anglers year in the old "closed season" days also helped.Often brought about by a prolonged period of fishing to "intensely" and easily remedied by chilling out a bit and a (no matter how brief) return to some very basic and simple fishing.

Making yourself accept that you fish for fun and not because you have to is a major point in any life long anglers career.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think its normal, I was the same lived for fishing til I left school, then it tailed of. I still went fishing now and again but very rarly with years in between trips.

Now im 30 and back to lining reals, practicing new knots, making rigs etc while sat in the house watching TV, annoying of the missus.

Thanks guys,

It's really nice to hear all this, i appreciate it i really do. A mate actually invited me fishing this Sunday, so i'll see how it goes, being down the canal for a few hours with just a float to watch and maggots for bait might just give me the kick up the arse of enthusiasm that i clearly need. If it doesn't do it for me, it might be time to put down the rod for a few years and as you lot have said, enjoy other aspects of life (Only a month until i can learn to drive!!! :D :D :D)

I couldn't reply without saying a big congratulations to Addicted to Scopex, brilliant news!! :thumbs:

Thank you all once again, i will update you on Sundays events and we'll take it from there i guess ;)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Well I've totally lost all the enthusiasm I had for fishing, to the extent that I didn't bother to renew my rod licence at the beginning of the season...I did manage one day (with a daily rod licence bought on line) but it didn't really do anything for me...

I really don't know what's up with me, but I just cant seem to summon up any enthusiasm, to the extent that I'm going to resign my Angling Club committee post at our Annual General Meeting next month and hopefully get someone more involved to take my place. It's not fair to the members if I haven't got the time or the inclination...

It's been a pretty tough year personally with one thing and another, and fishing really has taken a back seat to my other activities and commitments...my best fishing buddy is shortly moving away from the area, which will leave me stuck for transport, so it seems the sensible option.

I'm going away for a long holiday on the canal in October...hopefully by then I will have regained at least some interest....

I wouldn't say that I've given up angling, as it's been a passion for quite a while....I still love it, and remember all the fun times I've had...I just can't seem to get motivated at the moment.

Janet