What did this?

Anderoo

From the look of the wounds it could be a Gooseander. Have you seen any on that stretch?

A bird with a serrated bill?.................no, definitely a black river parrot.....with a bill length of around 3" even your average BRP would be able to make a scar on one of Anderoo's giant captures!............... yah boo sucks John! :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the look of the wounds it could be a Gooseander. Have you seen any on that stretch?

I haven't seen any, but I wouldn't rule it out. Although if Worms thinks it's likely to be the old BRP (like it <_< ), I'll take his word for it. I do see plenty of those!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What ever has made the marks they're not exactly life threatening and will be healed up in a matter of a couple of weeks. There'll be far more fish with more severe pike damage than damage by caused by birds etc.

Funny how people moan about cormorants eating a few fish to survive yet those same paople keep semi- domesticated pets and allow them to roam free killing god only knows what just to fullfill their instinct...beats me :rolleyes:

I'm not moaning - I just wondered what had done it. I catch a lot of fish with cuts and scrapes caused by different creatures.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not moaning - I just wondered what had done it. I catch a lot of fish with cuts and scrapes caused by different creatures.

Anderoo, that comment wasn't aimed at you my friend, it was just an observation in general.....I don't want you soiling your nappy again :lol:;) .

Having had a good look at these wounds, I am going to say that the culprit could well be a cormorant, I feel that it is more like a grasping/holding wound and not a spearing or penetrating wound as would be the case with say either a Heron or Air rifle.

The cormorant in question may also have had a malformed lower bill which would enhance the wound as well.

post-5087-1318407766_thumb.jpg

post-5087-1318407664_thumb.jpg

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Having had a good look at these wounds, I am going to say that the culprit could well be a cormorant, I feel that it is more like a grasping/holding wound and not a spearing or penetrating wound as would be the case with say either a Heron or Air rifle.

The cormorant in question may also have had a malformed lower bill which would enhance the wound as well.

post-5087-1318407766_thumb.jpg

post-5087-1318407664_thumb.jpg

I reckon you've cracked the case Richard! I'd like to see one try it on with one of the big perch - it'll get it ass kicked ;)

Nice perch anderoo.

i really love greedy perch when they take on a big bait and amazed at the size of baits they will try to swallow.

i think cormorant too just because of the shape of their beak. but i also wonder if they are strong enough to puncture the toughness of a perch of that size.

as for big perch coming shallow ive seen 2-3lb perch cruising in 1ft of water alone or in packs of 2-3. they weren't just one offs either :D this happened with regularity in the warmer months. This was on still waters and canal basins and not a river but i have seen them a few times in very shallow water on the Leven up to a pound. so could it be something else :blink: .

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I reckon you've cracked the case Richard! I'd like to see one try it on with one of the big perch - it'll get it ass kicked ;)

Do you mean something this big. :)

post-5087-1318417762_thumb.jpg

:lol:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Gents - I'm really hoping the pi33 taking comments that have crept into this topic are just friends having a mild go at each other. If so, better done by email since not everyone will know the comments are friendly. If not, please take it elsewhere.

Interesting topic here so lets not destroy it by taking pot shots at each other.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President