Energy Conservation

Leon Roskilly

As the evenings draw in, and the temperature drops, there is an increased temptation to reach for the central-heating controls and fire up the radiators.

Which got me to thinking.

We are asked to turn-off appliances, rather than leave them on stand-by, and to switch off unneeded lights etc in a bid to conserve energy.

But it's my understanding that all energy is ultimately converted into heat (you can feel it rising from the back of the TV, and the laptop etc).

This heat is being released into the home environment from the various switched-on appliances.

With room thermostat radiators, the more heat being generated from appliances etc in the room, the less demand for heat from the radiator thermostats, and so the energy 'wasted' by leaving an appliance switched on is fully compensated by less fuel being burned in the central heating system.

Have I got that right?

Conversely, in high summer, the energy generated by appliances, and turning to heat, puts an increased demand on the air-conditioning (well theoretically, we don't have A/C), so that as well as the energy wasted at source, even more energy is needed for the A/C to get rid of it :o

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

You really need to move somewhere warmer mate.

It's currently 25 degrees in my kitchen as I type and I don't expect to be putting the heating on for at least another month.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

ahh, having fitted me own central heating more than thirty years ago, it was fitted with the shortest route and least restriction to enable the system to be as economical as can be. This has repaid it's self many times and even though the cost of the supply of fuel increases i still consider i am getting value for money. So what would i rather have, meter watching or a family warm and snug over the cold period. No contest.

Interfearing e u legislation now means that the ordinary 60 watt bulb is to be manufactured no more. Yes i agree thats a heat source they have got rid of. In it's place however is these crappy low wattage bulbs that give off crappy flickering light. As long as i can get 60 watt bulbs i will keep on with them. I have found it impossible to go into houses and flats and carry out decent decoration with these new rubbish bulbs, again i have to change them.

I note my favorite architects are now getting into heat recovery systems, however it will be many years or perhaps never when it is practicle to retro fit these into normal homes.

So carry on carrying on until the interfearing e u can come up with practical alternatives before offering up restrictions. Just like the failed cfp i suppose. :lol:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I've now long since finished cooking (over two hours) and it's still 25.3 degrees here.

Got me wondering how my bills compare.

This is a three bedroom house and last year my gas bill was £182 and the electricity bill came in at £383.

No solar, no heat recovery systems, just a south facing aspect and biggish windows.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Estimated total energy costs: 31.00 pounds a year, that's thirty one :huh:

http://www.potton.co.uk/designs-to-inspire...house-by-potton

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Estimated total energy costs: 31.00 pounds a year, that's thirty one :huh:

http://www.potton.co.uk/designs-to-inspire...house-by-potton

Although i like kingspan, have they allowed the inhabitants to breath fresh air, and is that included within the 31 quid, and i bet they have allowed for heat recovery on every breath. :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..