Pike shame.

Guest sslatter

Take a closer look gentlemen, it has soft padded non pointed plastic ends and it will do no damage. I would rather one of these is inserted in a pike's mouth by a beginner than the original gag with sharpened V blades, or some of the other ways I've heard about. Like a foot on the head and pull hard, like cutting its head off (as witnessed by a pal in Suffolk not so long ago)

Its even better than the inadequate fumblings of a gloved hand. I would have no need of one myself, but I'd recommend one to a beginning piker until they have a better understanding of a pikes mouth and anatomy and know how to properly hold the fish and unhook it.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

i had a problem pike the other day, on my local canal.

he just wouldnt open up, the single treble on the small spoon was located between the 2 scissors on either side, so i couldnt get the damn thing out.

i had to use a very short piece of blunt twig in the end (only enough to get my forceps in).

i can see these gag things being a bit dodgy, but if the pikester does an impression of a clam, what else would you use?

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

</font>

<font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Chris the Fish:

i had a problem pike the other day, on my local canal.

he just wouldnt open up, the single treble on the small spoon was located between the 2 scissors on either side, so i couldnt get the damn thing out.

i had to use a very short piece of blunt twig in the end (only enough to get my forceps in).

i can see these gag things being a bit dodgy, but if the pike does an impression of a clam, what else would you use?
</font><hr />

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, if you can open its mouth wide enough to get a gag in, then you can get your long-nosed pliers and forceps in :rolleyes:

Sometimes a bit of patience is required, while carefully holding the pike in the water (if that's possible) Slipping one finger under the chin in front of the first set of gill-rakers will usually and gently persuade the pike to open its mouth enough for you to remove your lure or bait

For the definitive info on pike handling see

HERE and/or HERE

DG

<small>[ 03. October 2003, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]</small>

argyll:

Take a closer look gentlemen, it has soft padded non pointed plastic ends and it will do no damage. I would rather one of these is inserted in a pike's mouth by a beginner than the original gag with sharpened V blades, or some of the other ways I've heard about. Like a foot on the head and pull hard, like cutting its head off (as witnessed by a pal in Suffolk not so long ago)

Its even better than the inadequate fumblings of a gloved hand. I would have no need of one myself, but I'd recommend one to a beginning piker until they have a better understanding of a pikes mouth and anatomy and know how to properly hold the fish and unhook it.

That's not the point - they prize the jaws apart with such force they are capable of breaking the Pikes Jaw which = Dead Pike. Do NOT recommend them to anyone.

The Diamond Geezer:

Well, if you can open its mouth wide enough to get a gag in, then you can get your long-nosed pliers and forceps in :rolleyes:

ah, but once i had them in (the forceps), i couldnt get them out without further hooking the fish. after all, i couldnt just force the forceps in, grab the treble, then yank could i!

(and im on about a small twig, not a gag)

[ 03. October 2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Chris the Fish ]

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand