Norfolk Broads

John Weddup

Hi going up to my caravan at Thurne mouth at the weekend.

Whats the bure and thurne like.

Don't beleive the old rubbish our angling papers churn out its the same reports every year.

thanks

john

Some of the young ladies working in the pub at Thurne Mouth are little darlings but the Land-Lord is a Londoner with a passion for don't do this and don't do that notices everywhere, but the food is excellent and the Adnams is like virgin's water. Lathams tackle shop is up the road at Potter Ham, excellent prices. And rumour has it that the bream fishing is excellent this year!!

If you have access to a boat, then the fishing is very good up near Hicking Broad, I have a boat moored at Waxham (off Horsey Mere). I took my dad for a weekends fishing last weekend(21st/22nd June) we eventually settled on a spot up near the entrance to Hickling Broad, on the free moorings. We both had a good time of it, dad ended up with a net 'bout quarter full of nice size roach, rudd, the odd skimmer bream and a few small perch. I landed 3 very nice bream, the largest went to 9lb, quite a few good size roach and rudd, caught a small (2/3 ounce) roach, next thing I know, the rods bent double, line tearing off the reel, blooming Pike took the roach, I did manage to land the pike thou, 6lb !! The best fish for me over the weekend was the BIG perch, a very big perch, a very very big perch, tipped the scales at 5lb 3. We even managed to take some photo's, fingers crossed they all come out.

tight lines

Andy

tight lines

Andy

Have'nt been in Lathams for donkey's years. I always remember Ken Lathams LPH groundbait and the array of american lures he used to stock, long before anyone else did. I bought a rubber eel from there, not that I was interested in lure fishing but because of the package it came in. The hype on the package said "Put a Burke where they lurk". tickled me that did. :P

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

theres some nice bream coming up from the end of Upton dyke on the thurne to the swimfeeder. (to get to upton drive into acle and as you pass over the bridge keep on going untill you come to the sweeping left hand corner take the right of here and follow the road straight up then you want to keep on that road untill you pass the factory on the right take nexrt right and follow the road down then youre there, also from that place is some big eels, south walsham broad for some nice roach and skimmers, and some very nice pike from horning after dark

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

Thanks all

I do have a boat moored at thurne mouth.

Although there is also good bank fishing either on thurne mouth or bure. I sometimes for convenience just walk here to fish the evenings.

That is if i donb't follow peters instructions about thurne red lion

thanks

john

Andy Buckman:

The best fish for me over the weekend was the BIG perch, a very big perch, a very very big perch, tipped the scales at 5lb 3.  We even managed to take some photo's, fingers crossed they all come out.

Congratulations! That is a spectacular perch. Please please please post the pictures when they come back, I can't imagine how massive a perch of that size must look!

Tim

I recently met up with some friends on holiday who own a house in Ludham and although they are not fisherman/women (hoping to change that) they say that if you walk over a field at the back of there house you reach a wide sweeping section of the Thurne.Apparently its on a wide bend of the river which gets fished by Match anglers and my friend has found out that its 30pence a day ticket water from her local store.

We are going up there in a couple of weeks to see them and i am licking my lips in anticipation of some good fishing.

Does anybody no where i am talking about?I thought i would use this thread as a long shot!

Any tips would be greatfully recieved.

BTW/ Great Perch!! what a Whopper!! Well done :D can't wait for the piccy!!

i think the place you are on about is a place called Repps with bastwick its in between Potter heigham and the thurne mouth. Theres lots of reeds along the bank and a few fishing pegs there. The water is rather fast flowing and i found the swimfeeder is the best option (i use one around a ounce in weight) good for roach,bream,eels,rudd and pike

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES