Fishing the mole.

Hermit9536

I am currently trying to find ways to fish this river near me in Surrey. Its not a big river and has a lot of shallow areas which look fairly unfishable. However, I have been told it contains Chub, Roach, some Bream and a few Pike here and there. We managed to catch some small Chub over the weekend which was good for morale but I'm looking at other areas now. I have found a fairly deep section that contains a lot of weed that looks like tall thick blades of grass about 1-2cm's across but that also has some clear patches too. Would this be a good hiding place for fish? If so, as its a fast flowing area, would ledgering be the best way to proceed? Obviously I'm going to give it a try but I would appreciate any help or advice. The weeds worry me a bit, I don't want to lose tackle in them.

Thanks

Hermit

Try ringing the EA at Reading and asking for a copy of their free guide to angling in the Thames Valley. A very helpful publication which I think also covers the River Mole, section by section. Species, clubs, methods, day tickets etc. It doesnt answer your specific question but it will help to give a clearer overall picture of the river.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Well a deep weedy and fast flowing area would scream barbel to me, and the Mole does hold a few.

Why not fish a maggot feeder on reasonably strong tackle, I'd suggest something along the lines of a heavy feeder rod or an avon rod, with 6lb line and find out whats there

Mat

Many thanks for the helpful replies. Especially Chuby who mailed me direct with lots of useful advice. I have succesfully caught a few nice size Chub since and I will be trying the deeper sections this week to see whats there. Once again, many thanks.

Hermit

Hermit

Where abouts on the Mole are you fishing? There are some very good stretches, and some very nice fish in the Mole - its just knowing where too look!!

I have always had most success roving with one rod.

Chris

Press and Sponsorship Officer

Stoney and Friends

Cemex River Arun Head Bailiff

I am fishing the stretch at the bottom of Young Street from the road bridge towards the Mickleham bends. I have also found a possible area from the railway bridge at Leatherhead towards the splash. I'd be grateful for any suggestions though. Thanks.

On another note, are there any Leatherhead Angling Society members out there? I sent for a season ticket and have heard bugger all back. That was over 3 weeks ago !!

Hermit,they can be a bit long winded at times :mad: ,although it is holiday period to be fair.

If you dont hear from them,you can try Esher Angling tackle shop.Once a member you can renew from there, so may be able to join as well !!.

I see you have found some better chub then.

chuby

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you all know, been happily fishing the Mole now for several weeks, not being able to do much ledgering (hard to keep my 9 year olds attention that way) we have been prowling the river using the long trotting method. Results have been good so far, we have had a few good size Chub, the biggest around the 2lbs mark and also some very nice examples of Roach, plus all the usual smaller greedy fish. I have also spotted a couple of good size Pike in the deadwater near the Viaduct in Leatherhead, Ive never fished for Pike but I feel the urge coming on :D

[ 13. September 2004, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Hermit9536 ]