The real price of a pint?

Steve Randles

£2 to £2.20 per (pint) measure in my area of Kent. One of the shops I use regularly charged £1.50 until recently, but this may have been down to a local price war.

I gather the reason that maggots can't be sold in plastic bags is Health & Safety. The little beggars can escape from many makes of bait box, let alone due to accidents with bags.

From bitter experience I won't use bait boxes made from soft plastic that can get squashed (in other words most of those on the market, including well-known makes!). Once squashed, maggots can easily escape from them.

By far the best bait box I've seen is the appropriately-named Colditz. See my review at http://anglersnet.co.uk/reviews/colditz01.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay £1.80 for a pint. Good service and decent quality bait. Interestingly, there is a tackle shop not far away from my local shop which is v. carp orientated, last time I was in there, they were selling maggots at £2.75 a pint! Don't think they sell very many though :rolleyes:

Paul

I've got to hold my hands up and apologise here....I posted that my local dealer sold plastic cartons of maggots which I said contained "about a third of a pint"

Well I WAS WRONG..they contain a GOOD 1/2 pint measure :o and the dealer is Stour Angling Centre.

Den

[ 01. July 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

cheese paste:

If you fill a pint glass right to the top with maggots and leave it for 5 minutes, the maggots pack downwards and it looks lie you are left with about 3/4 pint.

Eh, Eh, Ill let you know next week. :D:D

When I buy a pint from my local shop 2.20 pint

I get a pint and a bit as I always ask for a handful of a different colour.

Ie pint of reds with a handful of whites.

My favorite pint is a pint of adnams regatta

4.5% of pure suffolk ale at about 2.30 a pint!!!!!!!!!!!! NICE

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

If anyone fancies being clever, and wants to keep in line with the EU (I DON'T - stuff the interfering europeans, I'm English and proud to be so they can all bog off with their stupid rules and regulations), there I'm feel better now I've got that off my chest. Anyway, as I was saying, you could ask for 568 millilitres of maggots !!

:P to Europe

:) to Brits

I am pretty sure it won't be long before European legislation will be brought into fishing. Some rods & poles are already sold in metric lengths. Don't ask me how long my match rod is in metres I have not got a clue! It will probably be that maggots will be sold by the litre or millilitres and may be pre-packed. Maybe they may even have "sell by" or "best before" dates. :rolleyes:

from those silly vending machines they DO have a use by date (maggots are usually bad before then anyway) they come in a big can about the size of a beer can, but they are packed with sawdust so you only get a half full or half empty can of bait, the worms you can get out of them are all slimy as well and no good for anything.

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

rickster:

the worms you can get out of them are all slimy as well and no good for anything.

A good way to condition worms is to put them in spagnum [spelling] moss dampend with a spot of milk, they will scoure out and toughen up.