Countryside Alliance rears its ugly head, again!

Peter Waller

Last week's Anglers Mail reported on a meeting between the Countryside Alliance and the Tory party. The Tories have already announced that they intend to scrap the licence fee, now they intend to ban barbed hooks! No research but a ban is on the books.

Shadow minister for the countryside, James Grey, held a meeting with the dreaded Countryside Allience where these matters were discussed.

Rather alarming. What's happened to the agreement between the angling bodies and the CA that angling would discuss its own affairs at government level? A small matter of the 'memorandom of understanding, the 'M.O.U.'

Back off Mr Jardine. You are debating matters that many of us hold very strong views upon. You are debating matters that effect every single angler in the land, and you are doing it without authority or mandate from us anglers.

Can't help feeling that Mr Jardine of the C.A., and the Tories, are playing the old boys network game, with us plebian anglers the piggy in the middle. No, I don't trust either party on angling matters, or much else for that matter.

Seems this meeting took place in the run up to the debate on fox hunting in the House of Lords. Coincidence? I think not. In my opinion we have become a political tool that is being used by the C.A. whether we like it or not :mad: .

[ 22. October 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BAN BARBED HOOKS!!!!! how would i stop fish falling off when i'm asleep? :D

rich

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Pete,what are these people on!I would have hoped that there were far more important things for them to worry about in this world than barbed hooks!!!These people must be real desperate for a cause to champion (for their own personel advancement of course).

Shows they know nothing about the subject.They will be trying to ban lead shot to save the swans next!!!!

[ 22. October 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So who's going to enforce these new rules if there is no income from licence revenue?

And who asked Jardine to speak on behalf of all angling bodies?

And why do the game fishing side want barbed hooks banned when they kill most of their fish?

Paul

Not true Paul. Even when a game fisherman chooses to keep his/her fish he must stick to the limits of the fishery and, where allowed, will then return any subsequent fish caught. Personally, I only take stocked fish for the table and haven't killed any fish taken from a river for years now.

I do agree with the sentiment of yours and the previous posts though.

Paul

Just got round to reading last weeks Anglers Mail, Peter ? :rolleyes:

It must be getting near to Christmas.

"(Old) chesnuts roasting on an open fire".

Don,t you just love those seasonal songs.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

You're right Paul_D that wasn't a fair comment.

Though I do know some game fisherman claim a higher morale ground on the basis of we only fish for what we can eat. And also like to separate themselves from coarse angling when the going gets hot.

Paul

[ 23. October 2003, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: P@UL ]

I have only two words to say to Mr Jardine - BUTT OUT!!!!!.

I am represented by the NFA and BDAA and I don't need anybody else speaking for me thankyou! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription