New Okuma Centrepin model

PeterNE1

RRP according to Svendson Sports is going to duck just under £200, as and when they 'offically' hit the UK, sometime on (or after!) 20th January 2012 ... though I think we all realise that RRP frequently is far removed from the price at which you can actually buy.

IF you can locate one genuinely for sale outside of the UK, advertised prices are much cheaper, but you usually get bitten by the postie

Then I can think of many far superior pins for £200!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeph, Youngs spring straight to my mind.

Ive had them all new and vintage (not had Lythe or Witcher) but still rate the AN pin as best quality for money you can get and way short of the daft prices others charge for (IMO) inferior or similar reels. My only dislike (although my fault when I ordered to be fair) is that I don't like handles and should have got one with winding lugs instead as you cant just stick your finger in.

I can't see how a higher price tag than most of the other okuma pins is justified. Its the same size and doesn't look much differently made to the rest of their range. I wonder why they don't make 4" or a 5" or maybe a narrow drum............

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

When the aventa pro came out I paid about 60 quid for a brand new one off ebay - just looked and new ones now 120.00 ish!!!post-600-1320360967.png

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Ive had them all new and vintage (not had Lythe or Witcher) but still rate the AN pin as best quality for money you can get and way short of the daft prices others charge for (IMO) inferior or similar reels. My only dislike (although my fault when I ordered to be fair) is that I don't like handles and should have got one with winding lugs instead as you cant just stick your finger in.

I often wind in with my finger between the spokes of an aerial and do the same with the sheffield. There are a few good ones with holes in the face plate for finger pieing :o your float back :lol: . Stantons, swallows, relums, kingpins come to mind.

I haven't even seen an AN pin in the flesh so I can't really comment on them, can you remove the spool easy enough or do you need a screwdriver ? That's one thing that bugs me about the Stantons, not having a quick release catch/ device.

I often wind in with my finger between the spokes of an aerial and do the same with the sheffield. There are a few good ones with holes in the face plate for finger pieing :o your float back :lol: . Stantons, swallows, relums, kingpins come to mind.

I haven't even seen an AN pin in the flesh so I can't really comment on them, can you remove the spool easy enough or do you need a screwdriver ? That's one thing that bugs me about the Stantons, not having a quick release catch/ device.

Ive not got a spare spool so never changed it so if I remember (without going in the loft to look!) it has a silver screw in the centre. Wouldnt be an issue for me as if I wanted a different (if I had one!) spool I would change it at home.As I use 10lb braided mainline I have a very wide range I can use it for.So much so that all my pins but one (a wide drum Fred Crouch I use for stalking) have 10lb braid now I no longer fish any where its banned!

BUDGIE,

Are you guys talking about the same "centerpin" reels as they use for Steelhead float fishing in the US.

After about $150 for a steelhead centerpin everything else is purchasing a "name" over function isn't it? I know guys "collect" reels from custom reel makers or "famous manufacturers" by name... You know, a guy will come to coffee and say I just got the new "Geroge Smith" - ain't it a beaut?

Phone

BUDGIE,

Are you guys talking about the same "centerpin" reels as they use for Steelhead float fishing in the US.

After about $150 for a steelhead centerpin everything else is purchasing a "name" over function isn't it? I know guys "collect" reels from custom reel makers or "famous manufacturers" by name... You know, a guy will come to coffee and say I just got the new "Geroge Smith" - ain't it a beaut?

Phone

In principal, yes the reels are the same, though in reality (until the US reels get very expensive) you'll generally find that the quality UK reels are manufactured to much tighter tolerances and run much more freely - typically in the UK they were always tradionally used fishing light tackle for small fish (rather than beasties the size of steelhead), and they'll start to rotate almost at the touch of a breath.

There's currently a massive upsurge in interest in pins in the UK, and they now see common usage with just about every species that swims in our rivers and lakes.

And yes ... we've got the 'collectors' too :D