Autumn is drawing to a close, what are you going to do?

Denis Skorikov

Get better clothing! My best chubbing session of the last couple of seasons came on a day when the thermometer was at -6ºC. About the only time in winter that I find it IS hopeless is when a thaw has put road salt into the rivers - other than that there's usually something around here that will take a bait - even if it's 'only' grayling!

C.

Excellent advice from Chris! When it's really cold I wear my thermal/waterproof/windproof one-piece romper suit, 3 pairs of socks and fleece-lined moonboots, waterproof sealskin gloves, several thin layers of normal clothes under the romper suit, thermal wooly hat, and take a flask of hot tea and a peacock handwarmer. Even last winter when the temperatures here dropped to a fierce -18 I didn't feel the cold! It's a lovely feeling knowing that whatever happens you're going to stay warm. The handwarmer is a recent addition but a real game-changer, it's fantastic. It means that you can warm your hands up properly and quickly when they get cold, like when landing/returning a fish or making bread mash.

And as Chris says, the biggest chub almost always turn up when it's cold. The milder days are usually better for numbers of fish, but the bigger ones usually turn up on proper winter days with ice in the margins and frozen puddles, and of course usually there's no-one else around...

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Excellent advice from Chris! When it's really cold I wear my thermal/waterproof/windproof one-piece romper suit, 3 pairs of socks and fleece-lined moonboots, waterproof sealskin gloves, several thin layers of normal clothes under the romper suit, thermal wooly hat, and take a flask of hot tea and a peacock handwarmer. Even last winter when the temperatures here dropped to a fierce -18 I didn't feel the cold! It's a lovely feeling knowing that whatever happens you're going to stay warm. The handwarmer is a recent addition but a real game-changer, it's fantastic. It means that you can warm your hands up properly and quickly when they get cold, like when landing/returning a fish or making bread mash.

And as Chris says, the biggest chub almost always turn up when it's cold. The milder days are usually better for numbers of fish, but the bigger ones usually turn up on proper winter days with ice in the margins and frozen puddles, and of course usually there's no-one else around...

i put a tee shirt on with arms :D

the difference is with the first post if we ice fish we can die but you can catch if its thin enough to break from the bank on ponds

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I shall put on my thermals, country shirt, wool jumper, guernsey, moleskin combat trousers. Thick pair of socks in walking boots. Put on the Gore-tex French Army issue. A thermal balaclava.

I shall roam after chub and perch

Yesterday the Medway was spot on for barbel. Alas I had commitments and could not fish.

There is always another day.

Regards

Hugo

Got to be on a river... weed has died back.... chub are about.....

Check out any form of weir

Just make sure that water temp isnt falling.

"Muddlin' along"