M5 crash

Andrew

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

After the fact assessing blame is fruitless unless you are a lawyer. Determining which/who is "worst" is a difficult chore, I guess it would be the accident you’re involved in.

It’s just my opinion that the number one cause of car accidents is driver's behavior (aggressive or ignorant) - not mechanical failure or road conditions (NO facts on my part?). The older I get the less safe I feel in a car. Not only because of others – but I’m nowhere near as good a driver at my age now as I was 40 years ago. Just fact. I'm not saying I'm a bad driver, I no longer "push the envelope" - I stay out of the way or home if I know driving could be difficult (i.e. time of day, bad weather, holidays).

I suppose the dynamics of “massive” pileups usually begin with some sort of distraction, weather, is often blamed (rightfully so in some instances). California has its share – one of the worst was 150+ cars collided, killing 20+(?) and injuring 150+ (including several officers working the accident). Maybe 2006 – 7. I’m just relaying this from memory.

Phone

This was very close to where I live and it has shocked everyone.

It was a tragic accident and I think some people should have a little more respect, seeing as nobody knows what the cause was yet.

And if some people were tailgating, are you saying it was all the people killed and injured? No, I thought not

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Clearly an accident.. nothing more. Extremely unfortunate!
This was not an "accident" it was an incident. The majority of incidents can be avoided and are almost without exception attributed to driver error.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Maybe you should get off your high horse and have a little respect for the dead.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Maybe you should get off your high horse and have a little respect for the dead.
I don't see that just shrugging ones shoulders and saying it was "just an accident" is showing respect for the dead. I used to work in a high risk industry, "Accidents are caused they don't just happen" was a mantra drummed into us every day. Ask any Policeman, Coast Guard Official or RNLI man and he'll tell you the same thing.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

But you also can't assume it was the drivers fault; you don't have any idea what the cause of the accident was so why speculate it was the drivers fault when you have no evidence.

Thankyou phone.

The long and short of it is that you cannot prove what the cause was, in fact there is no evidence even suggesting it was the fault of the drivers.

So to automatically assume the cause of the crash was the drivers is unreasonable and insensitive.

When you have hard proof that is one thing, but until then, like I said, respect the dead. Some people have suffered horribly as a consequence of the crash.

But you also can't assume it was the drivers fault; you don't have any idea what the cause of the accident was so why speculate it was the drivers fault when you have no evidence.
Where have I said it was the fault of any one driver? The incident happened on a motorway. I reckon it's a pretty fair bet that at least one of the drivers made an error that led to the incident.