Line clip

terryk

Having taken up the art of angling again this summer after a 20-odd year lay-off (why did I ever stop??), I recently had the chance to feeder fish for bream, and was a little confused on how to use the line-clip on the reel for accurate distance casting. I understand that the feeder, etc is likely to land around the same spot each time, but what happens if a fish takes and decides to make a run for it? Surely there is no line spare if it is clipped up, or am I being naive here? Are there any other tips for accurate distance casting.

Cheers....... terry

PS. Been checking out the chat here for a few weeks now, and have learnt much already.

Terry

Hi terryk and welcome. The line clip is ok for bream so long as you are not fishing for 10lb ers. on the strike you will gain line back immediatly and as bream are about as ennergetic as an old lady on morphine you shouldnt have much trouble. another option is to tie a stop knot on the line with inch long tags, when you hear the knot rattle through the rings feather your rig down.

now adays i dont bother as i find i can hit the same tree on the far bank every time :D only joking. its all about practice, practice, practice.

cheers,

rich.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Hi Terry and welcome to AN..

Once you have your distance required, tie on a small piece of pole elastic or power gum (2 ins) using a granny knot, onto the line next to the spool. Now trap this elastic in the line clip and continue as normal. If you hook say a big Carp or Tench and it steams off to the other side of the lake the elastic will pull out of the clip leaving you safe to play the fish, hopefully the knotted elastic wont move, but occasionally it will as the knot goes through the rings, so just readjust again.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

firstly, can i just clarify, steve, i take it your talking about a rod based line clip!

The way i go about it, is to find the distance, clip up (to the reel clip) then, unclip after every cast, then just before you reel in, clip up again.

a line marker pen is good to back this method up as i normally forget to reclip b4 i reel in, and therefore, loose my place.

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

Nope!! Reel clip!...Another way and the one I use more often than not is to cast out then put a normal elastic band straight over the line on the spool. Job done.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Chris,as Steve suggests use a bit of pole elastic, try it this way...bit of elastic about 4cm long with an overhand knot at one end....tuck it under the reel clip and pull up to the knot...................cast to your mark, loop the end of the elastic over your line and tuck elastic under clip.

It will pull out if you hook a biggie and also "give a bit" if you overdo the cast without pulling free.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic