Vista help

Colin Brett

Rec'd a request from an Irish lady friend today, can anyone help please

Hi Colin– having start up problems on my Vista computer – wondered if you’d heard anything about it?

Once I manage you get it going it works fine but have to power off once or twice before it boots up properly.

Ann

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rec'd a request from an Irish lady friend today, can anyone help please

Hi Colin– having start up problems on my Vista computer – wondered if you’d heard anything about it?

Once I manage you get it going it works fine but have to power off once or twice before it boots up properly.

Ann

Colin i have a similar problem with win 7.

after spending dollars and lots of time i'm pretty sure its something to do with the signal/info coming into the monitor.\ from the PC.

Ive tried on an ordinary( borrowed ) size monitor and it all work fine as soon as i put my larger monitor on it plays up.

What i do now is shut down and then switch off my monitor.

On start up i let it run for a short time then turn on the monitor.

sorry i can't be of more help.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

generally when windows has problems starting its a driver error (the software or a hardware issue the software points to) on the second attempt windows simply ignores the sofware and carries on.

send her a copy of "system care" (so good i bought a copy :o )

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

and hopefully it will trundle through and fix any registry issues ,if it still persists then its a case of finding whatever isnt working and reinstalling it

vista is a pile of crap my sister has it and it continually forgets what hardware it has and gets flustered ,worst is the printer :rolleyes:

another common problem with booting is a failing hard drive ,this can be seen with everything taking time to do anything in windows

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Best advice is to buy a copy of Win 7.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

yes but even thats not 100% mine keeps losing the printer as well ,its there but until i reinstall the software it refuses to do anything but say "preparing" to print :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

yes but even thats not 100% mine keeps losing the printer as well ,its there but until i reinstall the software it refuses to do anything but say "preparing" to print :D
What printer chesters. My Win 7 never "forgets" any of it's hardware or peripherals.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

its a photosmart c5180 ,as was elsewhere on the web my sister phoned complaining her vista PC now had frozen ,i guess she's ready for Win7 now .

3 months ago Dell replaced her hard drive but instead of XP it was vista ,its her works machine so she wasn't happy .It will be 2 days of hell for me getting a 150 gig of data off so nothings lost when i install win7

her Dell backup finished a month ago :wallbash:

expensive but for her well worth every penny and it saves me playing with her machine ;)

Edited by chesters1

its a photosmart c5180 ,as was elsewhere on the web my sister phoned complaining her vista PC now had frozen ,i guess she's ready for Win7 now .

3 months ago Dell replaced her hard drive but instead of XP it was vista ,its her works machine so she wasn't happy .It will be 2 days of hell for me getting a 150 gig of data off so nothings lost when i install win7

her Dell backup finished a month ago :wallbash:

expensive but for her well worth every penny and it saves me playing with her machine ;)

Stick an external usb drive on it and use the transfer wizard from the win7 dvd.

its on its way got the great mozilla tool to get her cookies and passwords and the like and both 32bit and 64bit vista to win7 settings transfer dooda on a memory stick waiting to go into action :D

Edited by chesters1

Fred - your problem sounds like a power supply that isn't quite up to the task. It could be failing or the PC could have been built with a PS that was barely adequate and any added load makes it give up.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President