Normark Rods

tincatinca

Been looking at Normark float rods for some time now and have noticed that quite a few that come up have had the tip snapped. Any underlying reason for this and also what are the differences between the 1000, 2000, and type 11 models. Am I correct in assuming that the type 11 are from the Masterline era and the 1000 and 2000 are built on the Japanese Diamura blanks. Any info would be gratefully received.

Been looking at Normark float rods for some time now and have noticed that quite a few that come up have had the tip snapped. Any underlying reason for this and also what are the differences between the 1000, 2000, and type 11 models. Am I correct in assuming that the type 11 are from the Masterline era and the 1000 and 2000 are built on the Japanese Diamura blanks. Any info would be gratefully received.

Paul, the only reason I can think of regarding the snapped tips is clumsy anglers. I have the team normark 2000 range in the titan and the microlite and they are an excellent rod. I also have the full range of the first MK II's which imo are superiour rods to the 2000 range. As far as i'm aware they're also diamura blanks but are a thinner and lighter blank. I think the later MK II's which where 13 to 14 ft where a masterline production rod. I can't vouch for them one way or the other as i've never seen one in the flesh although I would imagine they'll be decent rods and i'd say at the sort of money they go for they've gotta be worth a punt if you see one. Personally I can't reccommend the MK II's in the 13ft models enough....top tackle. Paul you know i've had quite a lot of the higher end float rods and for me nothing comes close to them.

I know Brian (Lutra) got himself an Avenger MK II in the 13ft model. Maybe if he see's this thread he can give you his opinion.

Ian has totally summed up what I was going to say Paul. The combination of the ultra fine tips and clumsy anglers being the main reason for damage. Not that in all fairness Ive ever had any in for repair! Most common work I get on them is to add a screw reel fitting.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Paul, the only reason I can think of regarding the snapped tips is clumsy anglers. I have the team normark 2000 range in the titan and the microlite and they are an excellent rod. I also have the full range of the first MK II's which imo are superiour rods to the 2000 range. As far as i'm aware they're also diamura blanks but are a thinner and lighter blank. I think the later MK II's which where 13 to 14 ft where a masterline production rod. I can't vouch for them one way or the other as i've never seen one in the flesh although I would imagine they'll be decent rods and i'd say at the sort of money they go for they've gotta be worth a punt if you see one. Personally I can't reccommend the MK II's in the 13ft models enough....top tackle. Paul you know i've had quite a lot of the higher end float rods and for me nothing comes close to them.

I know Brian (Lutra) got himself an Avenger MK II in the 13ft model. Maybe if he see's this thread he can give you his opinion.

Yes that Avenger MK II is just to die for as an all round rod. So so light for a powerful float rod and the tip is quite soft. Its just a dream on my local river when you don't know if the next fish will be a roach or an arm pulling off barbel.

Ive got a 3 piece 14' 1000 titan as well. The 1000 don't seem to get the same shouted about them as 2000, but they are still very good rods and better than anything new on sale in the shops by a mile IMO.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

If this is the same rod that Steve (JV44) bought from Tigger then yes I can vouch for the fact that you have to be extra careful with them. Steve lost the top inch through getting snagged in a tree, he wasn't being clumsy he was just doing what I would've done to get the line back.

They are fantastic rods and plenty strong enough in normal use. They make my Harrison look and feel like a broom handle but the trade off is that I can get away with spearing the odd tree trunk when we're fishing jungly venues, I try not to of course but it just happens sometimes. Steve has to be very careful not to do that so I think the Normark is now reserved for more open venues and gets left at home if we might be exploring.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Luckily only lost a couple of inches off the end so easy repair but as Rusty said in the jungle type swims a beefier type rod better ,pencil thin light as a feather and an absolute joy to play fish on though .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I've got one of the 'cheaper' Normark float rods that you don't hear much about, a Crusader. Picked it up for a very heavily discounted £99 from Tackle Bargains a few years ago (I think the RRP was £175). It's a lovely, light trotting rod with a fine hollow tip. I am careful with it as it is delicate at the end. It's not a powerful rod like the more well known Normark rods, but for trotting my little rivers it's a joy to use, especially with my AN pin :)

PS just had a look on ebay and found one that went for just over £50, amazing! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORMARK-Crusader...=item4cfb5764c2

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Like JV44 my Titan II snapped Just below the tip ring, (at Timsbury on that wet weekend Budgie et al will no doubt remember), I just hot melt glued the tip ring back in place and did not notice any difference, I only lost a cm or so. I have had no such problems since, but I now always carry it in a rod tube.

I also have a Normark Camero and have had no problems with that.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks for the replies which have confirmed most of my thoughts. Last weekend there were three options I was interested in which were a 13 foot Titan 2000 with 20mm of the tip missing, a 13 foot Titan 1000 and a 13/14ft Avenger 11. After much deliberation I decided to take a punt on the Titan 2000 which I eventually got for £125 which I think was reasonable as £200 plus seems the norm plus the fact that I cannot see the missing 3/4" making any difference. I wanted a rod for float fishing up to 4lb mainline and as I already have good rods for heavier work including 2 Harrisons based on the GTI blanks and a Diawa Amorphous Whisker H it swayed me towards the Titan as opposed to the Avenger. The main purpose for the rod will be for roving on my local river for Chub, Perch and Roach plus a bit of waggler fishing on the lakes in the warmer months and from previous comments made by several members on this and other forums I was attracted by the comments made re weight, action and kindness to the arm and wrist. Should receeive the rod later this week and hopefully be able to give it a whirl at the weekend although the river really does need some rain. I have noted the comments re knocking the the tip so I will have to be careful.

I did see those rods and although i've never seen the MK II 13 to 14 ft version i'd have had a stab at the Avenger...it went for just over a ton ! Saying that you should be ok with the one you've got. The MK II's are a bit thinner in the blank and a bit lighter than the 2000's.

It should couple up nice with your Lythe Paul ;)