Should we have a close season?

Peter Waller

You're right Budgie. If you were to take a wander along the River Wharfe for instance in the next two months or so you will see many 'fishermen' quivertipping for Trout with 'Worm' 'cos they're allowed to do that. Never would they intentially be fishing for Barbel and Chub though.......!!It really does make me angry that those of us who follow the rules, however misguided we feel they are, lose out again.

Paul

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a completely different approach needs to be sort after. I think get rid of the close season entirely BUT we need to look at resting periods throughout the year. The trouble is some places are hammered from June 16th right through to the end of the season and a 3 month all at once is only a slight breather compared to 9 months of being taken out of the water and yanked around.

My idea probably seems crap but I really think the whole system needs to be looked at.

James

Rather than type out a reply again, below is what I posted on a previous thread dealing with this regular topic.

"The closed season is a subject I have strong opinions upon. In fact, it's one of the few topics on which I ever get annoyed by fellow anglers. In particular I strongly object when other anglers try to foist their views on me as to how I should run my own fisheries.

I strongly believe that the closed season on stillwaters should be left up to individual fishery managers. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are many waters that would benefit from a break. However, there are others like my own that are very little fished that wouldn't.

Having experimented with no closed season and one with different dates, there's been no measurable effect on either the fish or on the wildlife - and remember I run Wingham as a nature reserve.

In fact we found one benefit to the birdlife as there weren't anglers suddenly descending on June 16th and disturbing nesting birds. They simply built their nests away from the immediate vicinity of the few popular swims.

As far as the fish are concerned, bear in mind that the closed season was brought in a long time ago when fish needed protection so that they could spawn and thus stocks could be replenished. In those days many coarse fish were taken for the table, whereas not only is this now rare but most venues are overstocked - in many cases grossly so.

Rivers though are a different matter altogether. Here I'm 100% in agreement with the views Bruno expressed in another recent thread.

In particular bear in mind that fish in rivers are considered to be wild and are owned by no one, regardless of who stocked them. Because adjacent stretches and opposite banks are often owned by different people, anything one fishery manager does is likely to affect another. Additionally, river stocks are usually lower and fish often come a long way up or downstream to spawn.

I've therefore against a national closed season on stillwaters but for one on rivers. In other words I support the system that we have at present except that I believe that canals connected to a river should also have a closed season.

Apart from the practical reasons given above this means that there are many stillwaters that remain open all year round, whist those that fish rivers still have the artificial romance of an opening day."

[ 17. February 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

" strongly believe that the closed season on stillwaters should be left up to individual fishery managers. I have no doubt whatsoever that there are many waters that would benefit from a break"

My local stillwater venue shuts down from dec31st to may 31st the next year allowing the fish time to recover etc, and it isnt really over-fished. Yet another local lake is open all year round no closed season at all, and that is hammered, is that pure greed on behalf of the fishery manager?

• 6 years later...
Just thought I'd get it in before anyone else does, most notably Angling Times! I mean, March 14th is only just around the corner!! Expect our Des is already working on his annual, tired and predictable, tirade! It will soon be time to air all the well worn old cliches once again! Should just we drop it this year and go fly fishing instead?

I feel we should have a close season gtives everything a rest. I have had a great start to the season with a Barbel of 8lb, 8 Chub largest 6lb 5 OZ, and 6 Perch largest 1lb 4oz all on lobworm free lined. 3 sessions longest 4 hours fantastic