Should we have a close season?

Peter Waller

Just thought I'd get it in before anyone else does, most notably Angling Times! I mean, March 14th is only just around the corner!! Expect our Des is already working on his annual, tired and predictable, tirade! It will soon be time to air all the well worn old cliches once again! Should just we drop it this year and go fly fishing instead?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

Just thought I'd get it in before anyone else does, most notably Angling Times! I mean, March 14th is only just around the corner!! Expect our Des is already working on his annual, tired and predictable, tirade! It will soon be time to air all the well worn old cliches once again! Should just we drop it this year and go fly fishing instead?

Best form of defence being attack, Peter...?

Excellent.

Just pleased you got it in before Des or some deadline-challenged columnist did.

Surely we ALL need a rest, sometime? Fish, banks, bankside vegetation, nesting birds, brains (if you have one...), etc...

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Carp anglers are, as usual, way ahead of you mortals with this 'resting' lark.

We normally shut down between 11pm and 7am most sessions, unless the carp themselves insist we get up, of course.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Wimps like me tend to have a close season. "When it rains, 'til when it stops" :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Close season on rivers, definitely. I love being on them and miss it like mad when theres three months of enforced absence but some of the stretches do need a rest. Its the time of year when things need to be able to grow back unmolested.

I`ll have couple of weeks off, wait for the duck shooters to move off the estate lake at the end of March then get out for some big early season carp, bream and tench.

One interesting thing though is that start of the season the Severn is tradionally a slow burner, it can take a while for the fishing to get any good. I wonder if this would be the case should the close season be abolished?

wolf.gif

No.

Paul

I have to say this. There are a lot of waters at rivers that could be (and, before the irate posts come, are being) adapted for disabled use, without detracting from the natural background.

I don't wish to bang a drum, but anglers are always saying "we need more members" and waiting in the wings are, literally, thousand of would be anglers amongst the disabled.

The closed season can be used to adapt swims to make them more disabled accessable (and easier for the able-bodied!)

There wont be a clash as most disabled anglers fish during the week and leave weekends alone so they don't get in the way.

[ 15. February 2005, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Yes, I still want to retain the 'close season' I think they should bring it back all round.

I try avoiding fishing at all during those 3 months unless under pressure from Liam to go. When we went to Lomand last easter I felt guilty fishing which was probably why we done more sight seeing than fishing!!!

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!