Climate Change

wunnus

On another thread the impact of climate change was suggested as being negative. I can see that as we approach another ice age there will be a gradual lowering of temperature. But our seas appear to be warming so that Cod are moving north!

Even if it does get colder ....is there no fish in Newfoundland?

For me personally I can see a sudden interest in the damart catalogue and plenty of hip flasks in the tackle bag.

I suppose we will have the Fox double insulated bivvy with draught excluders.

Any ideas anyone?

"Muddlin' along"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would ignore it and carry on regardless ,did mallory say on everest "blimey it looks a bit nippy up there" or livingstone say " good god a jungle ,i`m orf home" no they just carried on ,and we should shun those extra woolies and hipflasks ,stand and shiver its the mark of a man :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You should have watched the programme on the BBEB a couple of weeks ago.

Global warming/climate change could soon lead to the warm Gulf Stream either suddenly ceasing to exist or dramatically changing course further south to miss Europe altogether. This has happened many times in the past, as researchers on Greenland have discovered recently.

The only reason we have such mild winters is due to the Gulf Stream. Without it, most of the UK and Ireland will be covered by ice for up to six months each year. Most coastal waters will freeze. Most transport; road, rail (especially rail), sea and air will cease. Wind turbines, hydro electric schemes will freeze. Coal fired power stations will not receive coal.

Only gas and nuclear power stations will continue, but only for a little while as they will have little cooling water. Therefore, in a few months most electricity will cease to be input to the National Grid - so no Coronation Street - no TV!, no electric cookers, no central heating, no lights, only ice and cold - coming to an area near you - soon.

There will be little employment, little food, no fishing, and there will be a mass migration to the south, to France, to Spain and beyond.

Latest research indicated the conditions are getting very close to the point where the Gulf Stream cannot sustain its present course and this may be the last mild winter!!!!! :cool:

You have been warmed (I mean warned) :(

Tight lines (while you can)

Brian

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

there are forms of energy that will provide both water and electricity , forget wind and wave power thermal energy is the way forward ,iceland uses it and is far to the north the only difference is ours is deeper (except for bath)stop freezing and start digging ,the only reason its not used now is because large companies persuade us that wind and wave are the ONLY way forward , climate change is a normal geological effect they come every 10,000 years or so the last one was 10,000 years or so ago ,you dont need these scientists with their doom and gloom predictions just look at fossils the answers there ,life has survived them before and they will again its natures way of getting rid of the dross and geneticaly weak ,come on the cold i love it ,we can employ innuits as advisers and hang the doom merchants and as for no corrie its a incentive to shut that gulf stream off :D

scientists have to get more and more extreme in their veiws its the only way of getting funding ,first there was volcanoes or earthquakes or typhoons or meteors that kidded us along for a while now we except them as nothing this gets them no extra funding so they "invent" the word "super" to go infront of it and "research" money gets pumped their way ,it justifies their own existance :( what has their research done ...nothing, they cannot stop anything they predict so why bother .If a global catastrophy is on its way the last thing the government would do is tell the people ...it may stop them (the rich and powerfull) getting to their villa in france :mad:

[ 04. December 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I understand the cycles of the ice age will roll round. I understand the impact of the Gulf Stream. But other areas of the world at the same latitude do not have a gulf steam to protect them. They have the same day length. The land locked areas eg Poland do not have the moderating influence of an ocean nearby. Coastal areas such as the US/Canada border is a similar zone. Freezing of the sea is possible but the probability is less than say Rotterdam. In each case there appear to be species that thrive. If the atmosphere is warming up I should think it is more likely that we there will be an increase in humidity. More humidity means more rainfall.

On an annual cycle; if the depressions that feed us are going south during winter then they will not go so far north in summer. This should give us an even distribution of moisture, so it will be Wales all over. Now that IS a grim thought.

Get the fly gear out boys it is time for trout. I think Pike like them as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Muddlin' along"

Wanuus

To understand what you are asking, I suggest you get a good physical Geography book out of the library. May I suggest Geography: an integrated approach. by David Waugh, Third Addition, Published by Nelson. It’s aimed at A level students but is very readable and well illustrated and easy to follow. It also covers many other realms as well hydrology, plate tectonics, deserts, costal erosion, soils, glaciation and much, much more.

Who knows you just might find an area of knowledge you never knew you were interested in.

To understand the current thinking behind the Atlantic Conveyor (Gulf Stream) and the effects of it stopping, do a web search using the above key words. The BBC web site will have the whole transcript of the Horizon Programme on it somewhere.

As to why the countries you mention at the same latitude as the UK and them not having a Gulf Stream for protection. They have landmass instead, which brings them warm air from the south in summer and to some degree protects them from northerly blasts in the winter. Air that travels over landmass for along way, tends in general to be warmer than air that travels the same distance over water.

If and it’s a big if, what the scientist think will happen with the Atlantic Conveyor i.e. it stops, they can't say with any accuracy and really don’t know what would happen to the whole global weather patterns. They hypothesis (think) it will have cataclysmic effects on it, and in totality., but they're not really that certain.

More research money needed here Chesters :D

They feel more certain about what will happen to the countries directly influenced by it. As it has stopped in the past and they have a picture, an incomplete one all be it, of what those countries were like during its shutdown. The incomplete picture says, glaciation will advance from the north and the UK will suffer winters of 6 months + freeze ups. It should be noted that the UK is on the same latitude as parts of Siberia. The reason we don’t suffer the extremes of temperature that it does is because of the Conveyor. It might interest you to know that Siberia during their summer 3 months regularly has temperature of 90-100F. Winter the temperature is minus 30-50F. The lowest recorded temperature was minus 58F.

Even the Damart’s are useless in that extreme, it has to be fur and fur alone in those temperatures to keep you warm.

Oh sh1t I've upset the anti fur lobby on this site now. :D Tin Hat Please!!!!!!

phil h.