Winter clear water fishing Rivers, Canals etc

Dales

Hi Dales

This awfull dry spell has put my usual plans into turmoil.

Its normally been cold now for at least 4 weeks and the rivers would be flowing with less weed and good colour.

Like Anderoo says it would be good exploring, early winter, for new chub, perch, roach and dace haunts knowing we have several months before the close season hits us.

With it being so poor on the river and so mild I have extended my stillwater fishing much longer than usual and had some very enjoyable weekends. Infact I have hardly been at home weekends at all since last march.

As the weather has got a little colder and the silvers have slowed down I have thought long and hard what to target.

For me now its zander and pike. I have never done much dead bait fishing only lure and spinner but the one area around here fishing well is the fens for both fish. OK its 40/50 miles away and its cold to be out nights but thats what I am going to do.

A friend of mine is catching lots of zander and is going to help me. I can zander fish all night and pike during the day.

The fens are rivers but stand still for weeks anyway so it does not seem to be affecting them as bad. Yes the roach fishing would improve with colour and flow but the depths and clear water make lure fishing good weed free fun.

Don't forget dales you have a KLAA licence and a 14lb zander came out of ten mile bank last week

If you want to come up and fish with company just let me know.

regards to all

John

Edited by John Weddup

Is any one enjoying a productive time at the moment on running water?

I'm doing ok in my usual steady way. Both the Lambourn and Kennet are very low but they are still flowing and I'm winkling fish out. I haven't seen the K&A Canal recently but I guess with many of the locks padlocked shut the water's just seeping away and the level's getting gradually lower.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

The rivers round here are swollen and look like hot chocolate, they need to run off for a spell before they'll be worth fishing. Looking at the weather predictions there's not much chance of that though...more heavy rain and bone chilling winds !

The rivers round here are swollen and look like hot chocolate, they need to run off for a spell before they'll be worth fishing. Looking at the weather predictions there's not much chance of that though...more heavy rain and bone chilling winds !

Ian lucky old you poor old Rusty was fishing in shorts and a t shirt down here yesterday basking in the dry sunshine :lol: ,We need a load of your rain and we need it yesterday.....pipeline down sarff to stop hosepipe bans for next summer would be good to....or it can just rain for the next 3 months .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Ian lucky old you poor old Rusty was fishing in shorts and a t shirt down here yesterday basking in the dry sunshine :lol: ,We need a load of your rain and we need it yesterday.....pipeline down sarff to stop hosepipe bans for next summer would be good to....or it can just rain for the next 3 months .

But don't forget it has to be the right sort of rain ;) otherwise it just floods and runs away

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not