Torn One Piece Suit

Paul_D

Peter Waller:

I know Gortex hates washing machines.

Your wrong there Peter, the shop I work in sells plenty of Gortex jackets and we also sell the cleaners for them.

There is a company called Nikwax that sells a washing machine cleaner for Gortex.

Gortex should be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent the pores from blocking (making it useless). Nicwax do 2 products that can be bought as a pair (about £8) the first one is added to your washing machine and washes your jacket the 2nd one is also added to the washing machine and re-proofs your jacket, you get enough in each bottle to do your jacket 3-4 times.

For quick and easy repairs of things like waterproofs and even wellies, brollys etc try to get a product caled Aquasure, it comes in a tube and is like a silicon sealant but it sets well and adheres to most thing, remains flexible for years, we have a display package of it showing it reparing holes the size of a 10p, rips tears etc.

Scott.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I had thought about using Aquasure as my mate has used it in the past to repair torn waders, the trouble is that it looked untidy as he had to apply a large amount to get it to work (not that that matters). I like the sound of the umbrella repair kit best, it sounds like it would be neatest job. Cheers.

Paul

Any trouble getting an umbrella repair kit and their is a similar alternative dependent on the way your suit is made.Look on the inside seams,normally the one around the waist,and there may be enough spare matiriel to use as a patch,glue this with Aquaseal.If you fold the edges in it makes a neat and strong finnish.If there is not enough matiriel spare you can look towards the pockets to provide the patch.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Scott:

Scott:

I know Gortex hates washing machines.

Your wrong there Peter, the shop I work in sells plenty of Gortex jackets and we also sell the cleaners for them.

There is a company called Nikwax that sells a washing machine cleaner for Gortex.

Gortex should be cleaned on a regular basis to prevent the pores from blocking (making it useless). Nicwax do 2 products that can be bought as a pair (about £8) the first one is added to your washing machine and washes your jacket the 2nd one is also added to the washing machine and re-proofs your jacket, you get enough in each bottle to do your jacket 3-4 times.

Scott.

Good, I'm glad to be wrong!! My government surplus Gortex have very strong warnings against using washing machines printed inside them so the above is excellent news, cheers Scott!

jeepster:

thanks scott, i always thought it was ok to wash goretex as its the fabric itself that waterproof, not any coating.

The treatment is for when the material is just out of guarantee and leaks like a sieve, perhaps.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net