View New Posts

Phone

What does it normally do and what is it doing now?

I use the feature about twice a year when someone asks about it so I'm not really familiar with its normal behavior.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

It organizes the posts in all catagories on the forum with the most recent post at the top. Then they get progressively older (in clock order).

Each time you "hit" - VIEW NEW POSTS - it updates the list

Phone

On the same subject. This is why I have to use CCleaner about every other time before I get on the AN forum. After a while it says I can't use this feature or something crazy. I have to "empty" something on my computer. I believe you once told me it was my CASH. Someone is always wanting my cash.

Edited by Phone

Newt,

I believe this is VIEW NEW POSTS (since your last visit). But "last visit" doesn't matter - it only updates or "starts over" by "magic" sometime in the late evening. For example now this feature only shows me 2 thread entries. By morning (after the Brits are on for a while) there will be 15 - 20 threads active. It stays that way until 7 - 10 CST.

But if I "view new posts" twice quickly it shows all the days activity in "clock" order.

Phone

Edited by Phone

I think many (possibly most) people do use the New Posts option. I doubt if any of the mods do though since we have to watch for new posts/topics from members that are still on mod-approval before their post becomes visible and that requires looking in a different way since as far as the "new posts" option is concerned, their posts do not exist until they are approved.

The above is the reason you rarely see spam posts or topics; we delete them rather than approving them and usually delete the poster as well.

guest-x.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

Just FYI - This is what I think (not sure). The posts that got "out of order" were all polls. Maybe that had something to do with it.

At any rate, everything is fine this morning.

Phone

*View new posts* has not worked properly for me for quite some time, I have to clear the cache on a regular (but unfathomable) basis, and even then it misses some: e.g. I take a quick look at the forum early morning - 6.30 ish - come back from work and use *view new* and the earliest post may be something like 10.00 am - but if I check the individual forums there are often posts between 6.30 and 10.00 which it's left off.

The other thing which doesn't always work (correctly) for me is the link to the first unread post on a topic, it seems to gets stuck on the same post on some topics and works just fine on others.

@ Phone, I guess some people just open the forum index - AnglersNet Forums