Martin Salter and Mark Lloyd fail to deliver again

andy_youngs

You've challenged him to a debate and I assume from that, Martin Salter would think it were to between you and him. Now you seem to want to widen it without any reference back to him, why do you just assume he'll go along with that

If this is your format: There needs to be a debating panel comprising 4 representatives, Canoe England (??), Angling Trust (Salter), Recreational Sea Anglers (??) and Independent (me).[/b why would he want to attend

After all you're hardly seen as an independant after your highly publicised canoe trips on You Tube and missives on various forums regarding canoe access on rivers, if you're looking for support on here from anglers who are prepared to give away their rights of access to a river they've paid for then I think you're barking up the wrong tree

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious Brian? Are you going to allow me to argue my case or not? I didn't challenge Salter to a debate, he challenged me. That man is an ex-MP and director of the Angling Trust. What do you expect me to do?

I'm independent in so far as I am not a member of either the Angling Trust or Canoe England. Are You? Why do you feel so threatened by me? Would you rather I stopped posting so that AN members could receive a convenient, sanatised version of reality?

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I am being serious Andy and I would'nt support you in your endevours to give away rights that others have paid for and continue to pay for

As for being threatened or feeling threatened, you need to give yourself a shake, I feel more threatened by a cold 99 ice cream in winter than I do by either you or your efforts

What surprises me more is that more posters on here have'nt told you the same

Why do you find 99 ice creams threatening? what surprises me is that the posters on here haven't yet told you to shut up.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Hello Brian, happy new year mate, roll on the conger season..

Just hope this one don't get shut for going too personal Andy. Get it back on track mate.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Andy,

Well, I suppose 64 posts is a debate of sorts. I can't see anyone out of place other than you. The boys have left the ball in your court but it's not your ball. Play nice! Certainly you can make your point (again and again) but don't whine or make it a personal. Surely there's something better to say than "shut-up!"? when they have a different view.

BTW who does pay?

Phone

Hmm, Brian, I have no desire to get myself banned. But I don't understand why you're so sensitive to public debate.

It's as if posting a public opinion about canoeing rights is tantamount to heracy if doesn't fit neatly into Angling Trust policy.

Edited by andy_youngs

New year greetings one and all.

Pardon me for asking I’m a sea angler and Martin Salter is a huge threat to that make no mistake, as for this debate can we be clear about how that came about without having to troll through the post on another site? What is the purpose of it? What does Martin want to defend by laying down the challenge?

If we are talking canoe access to fresh water areas were anglers pay to fish then yep Andy I reckon you have a problem, if we are talking tidal marine were the resource is open to all then you have less of a problem as far as the rights of access go but can’t see how this alone being worthy of a debate.

When the Angling Trust comes into the equation and with Martin now on the board, who and how are the decisions made, is it down to the MD, The Board, or the members knowing that might help.

Some clarity Andy if you please.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

as for this debate can we be clear about how that came about without having to troll through the post on another site? What is the purpose of it? What does Martin want to defend by laying down the challenge?

I don't know Bob, I think it was a daft thing to do. If you want to know why he did it then I suggest you ask him, not me. However having laid down the challenge, then I think it is only reasonable to expect the procedings to be conducted fairly and properly. Barry is absolutely spot in suggesting that conducting the debate at the Angling Trust AGM would be pointless and tasteless exercise designed purely to humiliate the main protagonist (me)

If we are talking canoe access to fresh water areas were anglers pay to fish then yep Andy I reckon you have a problem, if we are talking tidal marine were the resource is open to all then you have less of a problem as far as the rights of access go but can’t see how this alone being worthy of a debate.

Bob, navigation to inland waterways is one of the most contentious issues facing the Angling Trust at the moment. Why should canoeists be forced to pay for a license which gives them access to less than 2% of our inland waterways? And what makes you think that because freshwater anglers pay for a rod a license, that should then give them right to exclude other user groups from our rivers?

Sure, you can ignore the issue, or pretend that the dissent doesn't exist by trying to silence opposing points of view, but neither of those courses of action will make it go away.

And what makes you think that because freshwater anglers pay for a rod a license, that should then give them right to exclude other user groups from our rivers?

Ah! I think that I see the misconception that lies at the bottom of this.

In England and Wales, freshwater anglers pay for a national rod-licence that gives them the right to use a fishing rod where ever they have a right to fish.

That's all, the right to use a fishing rod where they have explicit permission to fish, not the right to fish anywhere.

If they want to fish a river, they have to have an arrangement with the riparian owner(s) along the river.

That is usually through an angling club or syndicate whose members only have a right to fish that particular stretch of river (and usually the clubs/syndicates put a lot of time, money and effort into maintaining the fishery and the environment and ecology of the river as well as access and car-parking).

Where riparian anglers do not allow angling on their land, or where another club has an arrangement with the riparian owner, then having a rod licence gives no right to fish.

So anglers cannot just go and fish wherever they please, just because they have a national rod licence.

Through their clubs (usually) they have to negotiate with riparian owners (or controlling bodies) and pay a substantial fee on top of the licence for permission (not right) to fish a stretch of river.

(Like all other anglers, there are quite a few rivers near to me, but I am unable to access most of the riverbanks to fish (though I would dearly love to), just a couple of stretches controlled by the two clubs I belong too, and some others where I pay a day-ticket to the club or riparian owner (which could be over £300 per day for some decent game fishing! Sadly beyond my means). Most of the local river-banks are out of bounds to me to fish, even though I can often walk the public paths beside them and salivate over what I'm missing).

Anglers/Angling organisations cannot deny other user groups access to a river. Nor can they endow/deny navigation rights.

Indeed, if other users make an agreement with riparian owner(s), anglers could equally be denied access in favour of those other interests!

So, like canoeists, anglers cannot just go along and fish any stretch of river that takes their fancy without the permission of the riparian owner.

Canoeists, like anglers, perhaps through local clubs, are able to negotiate with riparian owners/controlling bodies for access, and pay whatever is agreed for that permission.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust