chub on bread

Peter M

Going to go to a stretch of the river roding tomorrow that Ongar and District run. i will use a small cage feeder with mashed bread in, a quiver tip rod six pound line size 8 hook and a lump of flake on the hook. i will be after Chub. i want to have a good wander as i have rarely fished this river. Does anyone have any watercraft or tackle tips that they would like to share. I would be very grateful. thanks in advance.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thanks, interesting read. i bought the bread today so i am just going to go down and take some out of the packet and leave it out over night out so it goes stale. thanks

You might find that one night isn't long enough for it to go properly stale Peter but it'll be better than fresh bread for mash. I've recently become a big fan of bread for chub, at one of my club waters I'm getting better results trotting with it than with maggots. Today I used it on the bottom with just a couple of SSG pinched on the line and the float rod pressed into quivertipping service, it worked well;

DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0210.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It's a great method for roach too.

If you are roving for chub (and bear in mind I don't know the river you are fishing - it might be a featureless drain) check out any deep holes, back eddies and overhanging trees. The main thing is to be as quiet as you can be and keep out of sight as much as possible. Chub frighten very easily.

Best of luck.

Regards, Clive

I fish my local stretch of the Roding for chub and its my favorite thing to do, im not familiar with the stretch your talking about but chub will always be in the same types of swim regardless of what stretch and even what river.

As has been said look out for cover. over hanging bushes and trees. tree roots. all these are classic Chub holding areas.

I normally allow only one cast per swim as if you get it wrong then 9 times out of 10 you will spook the fish and ruin the swim for hours after, if you get nothing after 15-20mins, bait up again then move on.

Keep your rigs a simple as possible. no need to get fancy at all. in summer i free line a dog biscuit with just a few swan shot pinched on the line to hold it steady, this time of year its either a big bit of bread or cheesepaste on a small bomb or tiny 10g feeder with white crumb.

keep moving, the fish wont come to you. you will need to cast right infront of there mouths and hold on for dear life!

Imense fun.

On my local small river bread is pretty useless. Also rather than fishing under trees etc the clear glides out in the open are the banker swims. To avoid spooking chub I just trott my bait down to them from distance, saying that imo chub arn't anything like as spooky as people keep saying.

The upper river roding is very narrow and twisting, in the summer it was so low it was not worth fishing, in 2010 summer i had chub to over three pounds. it should have risen with all the rain. i am going to have a long wander and travel light. i am going to target bends particularly where there are overhanging trees.

Nicepix do you fish the BDAS stretch at passingford bridge?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I never did well on big baits for chub when I lived up North - but that might be because I only had confidence in trotting and didn't give them a fair go? They certainly work well down here. I also remember fishing a match on the Dane, doing really badly trotting, and having a couple of lads drop in my swim afterwards and get their rods nearly pulled in on cheese paste. (I've since returned the favour to a match angler down here)