Bait Boats

Sportsman

I have recently been toying with the idea of getting a bait boat, principally to fish a 50 hectare lake down the road that has a very good head of large fish.

On thinking about it though I have been having second thoughts, is it sporting and is it really angling?

Over the past 25 years almost all of my fishing has been on the fly and learning to cast effectively is an integral part of being able to fish. If you can't cast well enough to reach the fish then you can't catch them.

Translating that to coarse fishing shouldn't the same apply? Using a bait boat means that anyone with minimal effort and practice can achieve a standard that it may have taken someone else many years of hard work and dedication to realise.

On the other hand when I was fly fishing on large lochs I would often fish from a boat or more often a float tube, which allowed me to cast to fish that I couldn't reach from the bank so isn't that the same thing?

There is a well presented point of view here and some interesting responses:

http://www.anglinglines.com/blog/carp-fish...boats-cheating/

What are your opinions?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

At the risk of implying that some people are better anglers than others (a contentious point of view ;) ), I think a friend summed it up perfectly - they make good anglers better and bad anglers worse.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

At the risk of implying that some people are better anglers than others (a contentious point of view ;) ), I think a friend summed it up perfectly - they make good anglers better and bad anglers worse.

I can see how they may make good anglers more successful rather than better.

I can also see how they might make bad anglers less likely to become proficient anglers.

For me it's what you use it for. If it's to get extra distance or just to get your ground bait out etc then I don't see what's wrong with using it. You might well get the distance on heavy gear anyway but it might not be as much fun to play fish. You could spod away and knacker yourself but why should you have to work that hard :D

What I don't care for is using them to drop baits in to tight spots and snags that even the most accurate caster could not. But ha no if that's what some one wants it for, that's there business.

I'm still not sure about the practice of ferrying a beer across the lake to a mate. That might just depend on whether I am receiving the beer or just watching others getting deliveries :o

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I can see how they may make good anglers more successful rather than better.

I can also see how they might make bad anglers less likely to become proficient anglers.

Tomato, tomato :D

I haven't used one, but in some circumstances I would do to bait up. I wouldn't use one to tow rigs out. But those are just my own personal views, others would never consider using them for anything, others would use them for everything!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yeah but we keep getting told that anyone who fishes for carp (for instance) is a Noddy because carp are too easy and don't require skill. Even more so on a commercial style fishery.

So where is the skill in learning to control a RC toy when someone else has spent 20 years learning to cast accurately.

Isn't angling meant to be a challenge?

How far do you go before it become "catch at all costs"

I have recently been toying with the idea of getting a bait boat, principally to fish a 50 hectare lake down the road that has a very good head of large fish.

On thinking about it though I have been having second thoughts, is it sporting and is it really angling?

Over the past 25 years almost all of my fishing has been on the fly and learning to cast effectively is an integral part of being able to fish. If you can't cast well enough to reach the fish then you can't catch them.

Translating that to coarse fishing shouldn't the same apply? Using a bait boat means that anyone with minimal effort and practice can achieve a standard that it may have taken someone else many years of hard work and dedication to realise.

On the other hand when I was fly fishing on large lochs I would often fish from a boat or more often a float tube, which allowed me to cast to fish that I couldn't reach from the bank so isn't that the same thing?

There is a well presented point of view here and some interesting responses:

http://www.anglinglines.com/blog/carp-fish...boats-cheating/

What are your opinions?

Interesting, because in my experience when I was on the bank I tried to throw my fly as far out as I possibly could, and when I was afloat I drifted as close to the bank as was allowed and cast towards it. :D

Forget the bait boat; fish the margins.

Regards, Clive

Interesting, because in my experience when I was on the bank I tried to throw my fly as far out as I possibly could, and when I was afloat I drifted as close to the bank as was allowed and cast towards it. :D

Forget the bait boat; fish the margins.

I agree. The noisy anglers scare the fish, so they have to chase them – be them boat anglers or bank anglers.

Mind you there are exceptions; the banks are noisy anyway then you've no choice, or there are some features which are fish attractors a good way out. Maybe the bankside vegetation means that you want to fish close in further down the bank where the weed beds are is but the trees don't permit a cast. Oh damn, I'm justifying their use!

I’ve actually never seen one used although I’ve seen them in brochures and catalogues – are they noisy or silent?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I agree. The noisy anglers scare the fish, so they have to chase them – be them boat anglers or bank anglers.

Mind you there are exceptions; the banks are noisy anyway then you've no choice, or there are some features which are fish attractors a good way out. Maybe the bankside vegetation means that you want to fish close in further down the bank where the weed beds are is but the trees don't permit a cast. Oh damn, I'm justifying their use!

I’ve actually never seen one used although I’ve seen them in brochures and catalogues – are they noisy or silent?

Noisy or silent, they are unnecessary IMO

Regards, Clive