Spod Rod?

Dave H

Why are spod rods so damn expensive?

I mean it's not even if you fish with them.

Dont get it?

Unless your spodding out bnuckets and buckets of feed I wouldn't even consider blowing good money on a spod rod. I use a 2 1/2lb or 3lb shimano daiflash specimine rod for spodding and have never had any prob's.

Spod rod...what a rip off ! Just use a rod capable of throwing out your spod... jmo.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your spodding out bnuckets and buckets of feed I wouldn't even consider blowing good money on a spod rod. I use a 2 1/2lb or 3lb shimano daiflash specimine rod for spodding and have never had any prob's.

Spod rod...what a rip off ! Just use a rod capable of throwing out your spod... jmo.

I am biginning to think the same. A couple of cheap rods of 3lb test curve. My rods are all 3lb test anyway so spodding up with one is see no issue with.?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I've a greys 5lb tc spod rod and have cast 6oz loaded spods 100yds or so, it's got a very progressive action and takes a huge amount of abuse, I'd like to see a 3lb tc rod with the same spod try it, I think the rod would explode, even short chucks with it are easily done thanks to the action of the rod.

I've a greys 5lb tc spod rod and have cast 6oz loaded spods 100yds or so, it's got a very progressive action and takes a huge amount of abuse, I'd like to see a 3lb tc rod with the same spod try it, I think the rod would explode, even short chucks with it are easily done thanks to the action of the rod.

At the end of the day Si... what difference does it make how far you've cast a 6 ounce weight with a 5lb test rod ? I didn't know it was a casting comp ;) All i'm saying is unless a person is going to be spodding at range pretty regularly, imo it doesn't warant them spending hard earned cash on a dedicated spod rod.

By the way I think I could beat your 6 ounce cast of 100 yds with my greys beachcaster, infact i'll cast an 8 ounce lead :D

well Hawk you are obviously a tight old hawk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TF-GEAR-TFG-...=item53eb1f3747

Even I could afford one of these.

I am with Si if you want to spod properly at distance and maybe with a crosswind or head wind you need the real thing.

Of course one mans 100 yards is anothers 50yards if you know what I mean.

I really love my fox warrior rods and their spod is only £50 and greys ones start at £80.

John

At the end of the day Si... what difference does it make how far you've cast a 6 ounce weight with a 5lb test rod ? I didn't know it was a casting comp ;) All i'm saying is unless a person is going to be spodding at range pretty regularly, imo it doesn't warant them spending hard earned cash on a dedicated spod rod.

By the way I think I could beat your 6 ounce cast of 100 yds with my greys beachcaster, infact i'll cast an 8 ounce lead :D

I wasn't meaning as a comp, just stating that a rod designed for the job can reach distances that a rod that wasn't designed for the job cannot, and will most likely break under the strain of the cast.

Hell, I've broken 3lb tc rods on casting 3oz leads, so wouldn't even dream of using a rod that isn't designed to cast that kind of weight.

I might have you add gents that at a country fare last year i won the wellington boot throwing distance ( i believe it was 15ft 3ins.) and won a rather stunning orange carp in a bag so who needs to cast out 100 yards for a carp!!!

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Save yourself some money and just buy a decent heavy catapult or walk around the other side of the lake and feed by hand :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I wasn't meaning as a comp, just stating that a rod designed for the job can reach distances that a rod that wasn't designed for the job cannot, and will most likely break under the strain of the cast.

Hell, I've broken 3lb tc rods on casting 3oz leads, so wouldn't even dream of using a rod that isn't designed to cast that kind of weight.

If a 3lb test rod breaks on the cast with a 3 ounce weight it's not up to much no matter what make or model. I've used my 3lb test specimine rods for beachcasting and in all honesty I was hitting the same kind of distances as when using my beachcaster rod.

I do know what you mean regarding using the correct tool for the job n'all (and you are right about that) that but if your not casting exsessive distances or spodding on a regular basis then a lower test rod will serve the purpose just as well, at least it has for me.

My heaviest rod, bar the 'Caster is a pair of 1 1/4 TC Nash Hooliguns, or my 'Animal' rods as I call 'em, so I honestly don't know what a 3lb TC Rod is capable of.

But, I do know that my very old school Glass 'Caster will belt out 6-7oz, 150yds on a belter backcast.

Even after reading all the other recommendations and the 'cheap' spodders on offer, I'd still go for a cheap and cheerful 13-14' Fixed Spool Beachcaster, just to p!ss the bivvy boys off! Reckon I could get near to 200yds with modern materials!

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue