rudd fishing

paul93

looking at some of the latest threads this may be a sore point for some but i want to catch some good rudd.

ive only caught a few that were no bigger than about 6oz but they nice looking fish. i know a place where there are some up to 1lb and would love catch one that big. so any general tips for them would be useful.

thanks in advance. :)

m Bi-winning" Charlie Sheen

Hawk any advice on this one?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hi Paul.

A Rudd doesn’t like bright light. When the sun rises above the line of the reed beds and begins to light the surface of the lake forget fishing for them the best time to fish for them is in the evening and into darkness, or early morning before the sun rises. If you can manage to get a shoal of Rudd interested in your feed before daylight makes an appearance and clouds prevent the sun from breaking through, then you're in with a chance of keeping them feeding, on and off, for several hours.

I would not even shot the line. I would just use the baited hook to sink the line and just put a number 10 5 inches from the bait. If that is not enough to cast you out there then keep shotting up until it just about does but too far out then you are wasting your time as you want a slow drop in the water.

Feed little and often. In the end it's just a matter of waiting for the big one....

A Rudd angler has to fish a very balanced tackle . Very light.

Edited by Hawk

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Hi Paul.

A Rudd doesn’t like bright light. When the sun rises above the line of the reed beds and begins to light the surface of the lake forget fishing for them the best time to fish for them is in the evening and into darkness, or early morning before the sun rises. If you can manage to get a shoal of Rudd interested in your feed before daylight makes an appearance and clouds prevent the sun from breaking through, then you're in with a chance of keeping them feeding, on and off, for several hours.

I would not even shot the line. I would just use the baited hook to sink the line and just put a number 10 5 inches from the bait. If that is not enough to cast you out there then keep shotting up until it just about does but too far out then you are wasting your time as you want a slow drop in the water.

Feed little and often. In the end it's just a matter of waiting for the big one....

A Rudd angler has to fish a very balanced tackle . Very light.

I knew it. He is a rudd angler. BURN HIM !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Given the choice between fishing for big rudd or big roach, its rudd every time. Not only are they a better looking fish they're also harder to catch

One of the best ways of fishing for them is to use a 6 or 7 metre whip and a fixed line with a very fine and sensitive pole float, used with a flick tip whip and light gear, 1lb bottom and fine wire 20 or 22 hooks you'll catch rudd if they're there

Use olivettes just under the float and have your hook no more than 2ft from the float, use the very smallest styll weights you can on your line beneath the olivette , no more than 3 just to break the surface tension of the water with your hooklength, caster or maggot works with caster being a very good rudd bait

You need a constant supply of bait going in and its bait first theen float, not the other way round

Sunlight is'nt a problem but the intensity of the sun is, if its really bright and especially bright overhead then just about nothing will feed and even the rudd will go down to the bottom so if that happens you've got to follow them, you can catch good rudd tight to the bottom in sunny conditions and they do feed on or near the bottom despite what most folk tell you

Another way to catch wary big fish is to feeder fish on the surface , take off the lead from your block end feeder and stuff some high density foam in the bottom tight, tape up at least half the holes and fish a shortish, 18inch or so hooklength from the feeder, the rudd compete for what falls from the feeder and you can get some nice fish doing this. Its a rod in the hand method and you need a soft tip rod as you're relying on either seeing the feeder move or feeling the fish through the tip, its good fun even when you get some strange looks when you're doing it

Another way to catch wary big fish is to feeder fish on the surface , take off the lead from your block end feeder and stuff some high density foam in the bottom tight, tape up at least half the holes and fish a shortish, 18inch or so hooklength from the feeder, the rudd compete for what falls from the feeder and you can get some nice fish doing this. Its a rod in the hand method and you need a soft tip rod as you're relying on either seeing the feeder move or feeling the fish through the tip, its good fun even when you get some strange looks when you're doing it

I was going to use a float but think gonna have to try that method now. sounds interesting to try. how light a tip do you mean? i think the lightest ive got is 1oz. will that do the job?

m Bi-winning" Charlie Sheen

looking at some of the latest threads this may be a sore point for some but i want to catch some good rudd.

ive only caught a few that were no bigger than about 6oz but they nice looking fish. i know a place where there are some up to 1lb and would love catch one that big. so any general tips for them would be useful.

thanks in advance. :)

What do you class as big?

The hardest part in catching big Rudd is finding them in the first place.

East Anglia has several waters holding big rudd of 2lb or more.

I have always found Big Rudd live in clear water for some reason.

Sadly rudd are in big decline due to various factors (I wont go into that as a can of worms awaits).

Rudd upto 1lb will happily shoul up - once bigger they tend to split into very small groups of two, three or four fish.

Once these small groups have been located a bait needs to be cast very lightly in their path with a very slow sinking bait.

Breadflake or the husk of a bit of corn are ideal.

Be warned - you usually only get one chance as the other fish will spook straight away once a fish is hooked or a bite missed.

With Rudd shouls of fish upto a 1lb or so your best bet is to feed maggots. By feed I mean your catty needs to be firing out a few constantly at a very small crystal waggler fished with a small 18 or 20 hook and a single maggot anything from a few inches to a foot deep.

Once they start competing you can get the surface boiling with them then step up a hook size as they will hook themselves against your float.

Once you have caught a load of them they do get smart to your tactics and depth fished will need almost altering, as will baits and dropper shot will need moving to fool them.

When the sun is high it is worth fishing a small lead with a very big hooklength of upto a meter with a small piece of slowly sinking bread flake as near to lillies of a reed bed as you can cast.

Bites are usually quick pull rounds as the Rudd darts out to get to the bait first and takes the bait on the drop.

One thing I have learned with Rudd is that they nail a bait hard and fast but can eject a bait as fast as a Roach.

I count myself as being very lucky with Rudd over the years.

Living on the East Anglian coast has given me access to some very big shouls of 1lb plus Rudd and also to some very big individual Rudd up to almost 4lb (I wish back then (23 years or so) we had some decent scales instead of Salters spring balance).

Sadly them days are a thing of the past – Clear water and Big rudd don’t mix very well with the Black plague.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Sadly them days are a thing of the past – Clear water and Big rudd don’t mix very well with the Black plague.

Also known as a Prymnesium bloom by any chance? Or something else?

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue