Are new anglers expectations too high?

Dales

All,

I think the question of "newbies" and their inquiring mind has slipped over into the area of the guy who simply doesn't want to "earn" his stripes. The guys Tigger and Steve are talking about never or rarely have that OBVIOUS aire of innocence that a newbie has. The newbie is rarely looking for a "secret" - he's looking for fish.

As in many of the life sports there are guys who I would indeed treat as "lesser mortals" and for various jaded reasons. One guy I don't particularly care for it the one I call the consumate "tweener". The guy that is NOW ready to catch specimen fish at your expense.

Perhaps my aging "lack of flexability" most shows in the arena of picking up trash. Dam! I hate guys that won't pick up there trash.

Phone

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking up on some of the points made.

Most experienced fishermen I know will gladly pass on such things as how to learn watercraft and how to locate fish.......................simple problem is the vast majority of today's "learners" dont want to "learn"! they simply want to be (or think they can just be) given the end result on a plate! The big fish is there and use this type of thing as opposed to WHY the fish is there and WHY use such bait. Without WHY they will never learn and are simply "aping" what the experienced guy does. Therefore without constant pointers will never advance. "X" marks the spot is definitely what they want.................................or at least appear to.

So I think its just as important for an experienced fisherman to point this out as it is to give any advice in the first place.I say this as undoubtedly though there are many who just want "X" marks the spot as a kind of "sneaky" shortcut there are many new guys who simply dont realise there is more to it and ask these questions in complete innocence.

As such (if you accept in general what Ive said above) people accusing experienced people of being selfish/elitist/secretive when they wont give "X" marks the spot only stop the newbie from understanding the point being made and therefore stopping them from realising the need to LEARN.

Its often said that its fine to have "instant" fisheries as it caters for people who have "chosen" an "easier" approach to their sport.After all it doesn't affect those who want a more "traditional" approach....... Trouble is it scares me that it could end up being a bit like John's (Gozzer) issue with carp. In other words that choice indeed will be lost and that's the choice not to catch carp/fish commercials. Basically I see a sad future (but admittedly this may only seem sad to people like myself who have experienced different) where everybody fishes commercials because there are only commercials because that's all people want/know. Just think about it. If you were of the "instant generation" and had only fished "easy" waters that contained every species going to bigger than "normal" sizes why would you venture any where else?

Angling as I/we know it would be very different and I think that losing that would be a great shame. Yes time does change everything but if that change isn't necessarily better then shouldn't we try to stop it? Better surely doesn't just mean more fish/bigger fish more easily does it? Surely maintaining the basic of promoting a need to learn and the sense of achievement of doing so and succeeding is "better"? and I'm not just talking angling....as after all once again what happens in angling is just a reflection of what happens in society?

I will not be made to feel guilty for defending ideals that to me are correct or the sport as I have known and loved it no matter how unpalatable the truth is. What gals me the most is the ones who wont agree with me wont still be part of angling by then any way!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think it also depends on how you were introduced to fishing. When first started last year i caught 4 fish in about 4 hours so i never expect to bag up or catch big fish during a session.

so are you saying 4 fish in 4 hours is good or bad? i am confused again :)

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

BUDGIE,

What you say is SOOooo true. And provable!!

Many of the "championship" bass tournaments are on the telly. The "X" spots are available to everyone. On more than one occasion I've been carp fishing from the bank the day or two after a big tournament. The "hot" areas look like a gathering of mossies. The "also rans" are, btw, not the "best ambassadors of our sport. They are disrespectful to one another and if you want your lines run over in a disrespectful mannor just fish where these "jerks" fish. I've even seen them have intentional "boat wrecks" trying to run one another away.

Phone

edit: once again, I contend, these guys are not "newbies". Newbies are quickly sorted as "in or out". Once in it is MORE a matter of "what there mama's taught them" not what you and I can teach them.

Edited by Phone