what is the greatest threat to english angling

azrael

Don't know if any one knows Walthamstow Reservoirs? It has around 300 cormorants on it and fish are still caught there and the surrounding area. I am regularly told while on the Lea that I am wasting my time as all the foreigners have eaten all the Pike but yet I am catching. I started a thread recently about newbies having unrealistic expectations. I should have realised that it is not just newbies it's anglers as a whole.

Walthamstow is certainly not a great silver fish venue but it still holds lots of good fish they even have lots of trout reservoirs and trout over winter on them. Those who bleat on about bird predation some how ignore this site because it does not give the answer they want.

EDIT: Sorry I posted some miss-information, it's not 300 Cormorants its 300 pairs on one island "The island on the No.5 holds the even more famous Cormorant colony - the population numbers around 300 pairs"

I will not bore you with the other statistics on other Cormorant Roosts on the complex or the Herons, Gooseander populations and all the other fish chugging winged predators that inhabit this part of the world. It does raise a smile and a shake of the head when some seem to go in to melt down when one dark shadow flys over there club lake.

How do we manage to have fishing in South East England and how do all those commercial pools manage to existance on the outshkirts of East and North London :rolleyes:

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks to me its silly rules and regulations and the type of person who accepts everything they read or hear as truth are the big threats

just because you hear something a lot it does not make it truth or right thing and if in doubt just make up a law for it

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

You know I never realise you could get shot down so much on here. Being told to 'P off and do something else' is just uncalled for.

I have nothing against otters and cormorants, they're only doing what any predator would.

But it's hard not to feel they're not a form of threat when all you read/hear is how they are devastating our rivers and stillwaters.

A few examples:

http://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/cormoran...eat-to-angling/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...and-cormorants/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...-on-river-fish/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...arms-shut-down/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...-spread-of-KHV/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...d-dace-stretch/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...-record-levels/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...fish-in-a-week/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...t-of-existence/

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...r-river-barbel/

Never had such bad replies for just saying what I was seeing. Don't even know why I still bother going on AN, it's not like anyone talks about fishing anymore.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

But it's hard not to feel they're not a form of threat when all you read/hear is how they are devastating our rivers and stillwaters.

Never had such bad replies for just saying what I was seeing. Don't even know why I still bother going on AN, it's not like anyone talks about fishing anymore.

Don't take it personal Dave! However the whole point some of us are trying to make is that people are to quick (you've done it yourself) to repeat what they have read or heard without actually checking/challenging the "facts" first..........and so myths/gossip,miss truths,miss conceptions (whatever you chose to call them) are spread and for those that dont check have (like yourself in this case again) they have become "fact"/ "common knowledge". See what we are saying Dave?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

now you dont want to be beliefing everything you read and i would not go and belief what you read on anglers mail and even worst go fishing

they even say that cormorants are worse then the foreigners

i thought you thought that european anglers are the biggest threat

you should belief what you see and not just what you read

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Don't take it personal Dave! However the whole point some of us are trying to make is that people are to quick (you've done it yourself) to repeat what they have read or heard without actually checking/challenging the "facts" first..........and so myths/gossip,miss truths,miss conceptions (whatever you chose to call them) are spread and for those that dont check have (like yourself in this case again) they have become "fact"/ "common knowledge". See what we are saying Dave?

I see what your saying. However, it's one thing to say something quickly and regret it, but some replies were just uncalled for.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Guest redfin2
Of course, fish welfare/ do gooders, very dangerous scrotes that are like double agents amongst the angling world. As you well know there's one in particular lurking around on AN ;)

The trouble with these plonkers is they don't have a clue about anything but rant on about make belive nonsense complicating everything and finding fault. They seem to have a nack of shouting very loud and turning a lot of heads the wrong way.

Stop bitching would be a good start , and stop hating everyone that can spell, and blaming foreigners, hope everyone buys a rod licence, and puts the welfare of fish before their tarty tackle would be a step in the right direction.

I see what your saying. However, it's one thing to say something quickly and regret it, but some replies were just uncalled for.

Sorry Dave, the P Off comment was not intended to be directed at you but a general comment to those who seem to deem everything a threat.

From the area of London I come from we have huge amounts of Cormorants hence the earlier post about Walthamstow Reservoirs. Anglers in this neck of the woods live with them but we often have outsiders calling for control of them and it does annoy the hell out of me when they do so.

I was fishing the Lea the other week and talking to a celeb angler who was telling me about 30 odd Cormorants diving on the river but he presented it in a matter of fact way and said it was an amazing thing to see. He said they had turned up a few times and yes they would have taken fish and they had been taking fish from his fishery. He accepted it and so do a lot of people in this area, but it seems to be people who know nothing about cormorants who spread miss truths.

I was informed that they had taken a big interest in my favourite swim, I have been struggling to catch live baits recently and have ended up using frozen deads. I could easy put 2 and 2 together and come up with the wrong answer. I fail to catch bait fish and the area has had cormorant action. They must have eaten them all, nothing to do with my poor angling :D

The Cormarant Colony at Walthamstow fly far and wide and yes they do take lots of fish but there is still plenty left including in the over stocked local commercials and in the trout fishery on the complex. Therefore you will find a lot of anglers in this area view reports from those who do not live under the shadow of the "black plague" with a certain sceptisism and over reaction. What I experience and many other anglers in East London and the surrounding counties does not stack up against what we read.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Not sure if it's been said already, ain't got time to read the whole thread, getting ready for a 48 hour jobbie for, yep, Bream lol.

Anyways, I think comercial venues. Just means Joe Public can catch a months worth of fish in one visit. And as a result goes less often. The other side affects are we have lost our 500 peg matches, and not many go any where near a river, let alone a canal...

I used to love a winter league gruler, 150 eyeballs for a good section win, he-he. We have lost the skillful river matchmen, maybe for ever. Bring back Ivan Marks, Dennis Salmon, (who taught me) Jimmy Randell, who could all run a waggler down a river 50 yards out. Yeah, we got a new bread of stars, but really, take the open mouthed carp away and what's left.

Just an old school humble opinion. I want to work for my fish, not draw on a barrel load.

Dales< i never knew you were an East End boy, like moi'. Have the Bream been showing up on number one and if so, what size? Cheers Matey... BTW thats nazeing south in my picci... And yes, it is the one that caused 200 people to try and join in a week, with bucket loads of groundbait lol...

Edited by Steve D

Friday evening forum starting mid March 2012. Come in for a coffee, and a chat, or advice. We'll be talking rigs, tactics, venues, and anything else fishing related. Heiniken say's, probably one of the best stocked shops in east anglia... Match, sea, fly, carp, specimum. If we ain't got it, we'll get it. Look for the new Frank Warrich gel baits coming soon...

www.stanstedangling.co.uk