what is the greatest threat to english angling

azrael

What are you on about?

When did I say i needed to catch a fish every few minutes? I resent that, my fishing is not like that at all.

ALL I SAID WAS THAT CORMORANTS AND OTTERS ARE A THREAT TO ANGLING

Predators are a natural part of the foodchain, but when an otter comes in and eats all the fish in a pond it's hard to fish there. You're completely twisting what i'm saying. :wallbash:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Maybe I see things slightly different. I think there is a shortage of predators and more should be done to increase the amount of Otters. Maybe build more roosts for cormorants. I think we need more predation it should help thin out the amount of anglers. I think it would be great for wildlife to have lots of ponds with no or very few fish in them.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's just it, i'm not saying whether it's wrong or right or allowed or not i'm just saying they eat fish, and have become a threat. Cormorants have only been pushed inland due to human ignoranc through overfishing and general pillaging of the seas, i've got nothing wrong with cormorants or otters, i'm just saying they're a threat!

:lol: :lol:

I thought that that kind of thought was down to Human ignorance and why we have this ridiculous "fish are great and everything else is in my way" attitude. Read the facts and not the Angling Times!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

davedave,

Not very well - - - (whatever it is you're just saying?). In two dimensions a definition for how you choose the word "threat" would be helpful.

Cory,

"and carpers"? - - - - maybe you missed the title of the thread. Or, you might define "English angling" differently? Maybe you mean [your kind of] angling - certainly not English angling.

Dales,

As soon as fish stocks reached a natural balance there wouldn't be "too many" anythings. Including anglers.

All,

I can't possibly see how this thread continues. Androo, in post 2 (TWO) succinctly in a terse and proper manner gave the only possible answer.

He did fail to mention in that two word response the "damage" caused by chemicals and encroachment of "non-angling" humans on angling at it's current level. But someone did mention it (I think). You can kill a lot of fish with poison that don't immediately damage the "food quality" of the carcass. More effecient than netting really.

Phone

But that's just it, i'm not saying whether it's wrong or right or allowed or not i'm just saying they eat fish, and have become a threat. Cormorants have only been pushed inland due to human ignoranc through overfishing and general pillaging of the seas, i've got nothing wrong with cormorants or otters, i'm just saying they're a threat!

:lol: :lol:

Not true mate. There has allways been a natural head of "inland" cormorants.Addmitedly they have increased due to the easy availability of food (thanks to overstocked waters). Its ignorance like this that will be our down fall.

Dave dont follow like a sheep mate do some research and get the real facts before stating them as such!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Not true mate. There has allways been a natural head of "inland" cormorants.Addmitedly they have increased due to the easy availability of food (thanks to overstocked waters). Its ignorance like this that will be our down fall.

Dave dont follow like a sheep mate do some research and get the real facts before stating them as such!

It’s not cormorants and never has been. In the 80’s it was even on the news that day ticket fisheries would be wiped out within 10 years. Well in the South East I am sure there is more DTW’s 20 years on. It is only man out of all the animals on this earth that is capable of destroying this Earth....And I read somewhere we are the most intelligent species I think it was in a fairy tale I read to my Niece before she went to bed once, she found it very funny

Edited by Hawk

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Don't know if any one knows Walthamstow Reservoirs? It has around 300 cormorants on it and fish are still caught there and the surrounding area. I am regularly told while on the Lea that I am wasting my time as all the foreigners have eaten all the Pike but yet I am catching. I started a thread recently about newbies having unrealistic expectations. I should have realised that it is not just newbies it's anglers as a whole.

Walthamstow is certainly not a great silver fish venue but it still holds lots of good fish they even have lots of trout reservoirs and trout over winter on them. Those who bleat on about bird predation some how ignore this site because it does not give the answer they want.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

@Cory- Went a bit overboard in your first post, but I get your point!

(couldn't resist having a poke :lol:)

Davedave, I know what you are getting at. What you say is true in the literal sense but apart from overstocked commercials, they merely redress the true balance of an ecosystem. Without artificially high stock levels and anglers introducing food, I'm sure you're aware that the stock levels would fall naturally (without management) through starvation without any predation from Cormorants and Otters. I'd rather catch fewer, healthier fish from a 'natural' water with a full, balanced ecosystem, that lots of stunted fish or fish that have no choice but to eat your bait, as there is a deficit of natural food to sustain them all.

With regards to EE anglers, I know many practice C&R, even in their home countries. But there will always be the minority who practice it for financial gain, EE or homegrown, who have an impact and usually use 'unsporting' methods such as netting and longlining.

I can respect the right to eat what you catch within reason. I eat sea fish but not river fish. Why? I just prefer the taste... But if you want to eat Pike, you're allowed 2 a day, providing they are under 60cm long. Forgot the bag and size limit for 'other' fish.

Just not allowed to eat Eels atm, until they recover a bit. They're the only fish I have noticed a real decline in.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

...there will always be the minority who practice it for financial gain, EE or homegrown, who have an impact and usually use 'unsporting' methods such as netting and longlining.

Renrag

I think the reason for this is simple. It is our woeful grip on the situation. As Captain Cojones mentioned on another post the other day the spanish enforcement officers carry 9mm pistols. Would you steal a fish or two knowing it could wind up with you being chased by an armed officer? Our bailiffs our spread way too thinly, command zero respect as they have very little power to do anything and are told to target the places that earn the EA the most money such as carp puddles. As well as this if you report set lines etc very little happens and you end up pulling them out yourself putting yourself at risk should the gang return to collect their fish.

Dales

Spot on. As always people filter out what they want to use to boost their campaign and ignore anything to the contrary. There are countless examples of this all across politics of every kind.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

:lol::lol:

what nonsense a handful of otters ? go back over time and there were thousands ,probably tripping over each other and still there was fish ,if they were so destructive they would have starved to death millions of years ago.

the "problem" with natural predators came about when gentry "owned" fish ,predominately game fish and otters became foes and keepers killed them ,now we "own" course fish (which to replace unnaturally is extremely expensive) so the otters are foes country wide.

if left to nature not man everything balances out and we both can fish.

mink are no problem at all to fish the last thing they do is fish and corms have always fished inland around the coast (if they are so destructive why do ponds have fish in near the coast?) so the problem lies not in predation but man or mans influence

man himself used to eat course fish on an industrial scale that all but stopped in the Victorian age with the invention of the train ,why didn't fish disappear with both otters and humans eating them? the problem appears to have become worse since the 50's gradually getting worse if theres few humans eating fish ,hardly any otters eating fish then its not bloody otters

its extremely easy to stop otters on private land its called a fence ,its easy to stop cormorants its called a licence to shoot and mink are the easiest critter on earth to trap but doing all of that wont get to why fish stocks are dropping ,you cannot shoot EA members ,the water company members or farmers unfortunately

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson