Stove?

Dave H

if you live oop norf there's a very clean petrol called "aspen" that can be used in colemans and unlike normal petrol it doesn't clog up the vaporiser (generator) as much ;)

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Home

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been using the MSR Windpro for the past couple of years. It’s been very good so far although it does suffer from the limitations of the canister itself as I suppose most burners of this type do. I’ve learnt from experience that it’s very difficult to stay properly mobile if you want hot food and drink, add in the water, pan, kettle, milk, fillet steaks and the weight starts to mount up. Now I just use it during the winter months when a cup of fresh brewed tea and a sausage roll on a grueller can work wonders for enthusiasm;

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

Some action shots;

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0179.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

ideally what is required for a winter day session is a small compact stove like mine or similar 1 x small kettle trakker 1 x 12cm single egg frying pan

1 or 2 rolls 1X small tub butter 1x small bottle brown sauce /tomato ketchup 1 x square sausage 1x egg

1 knife some tea bags & or coffee small 1/3 pint bottle milk 1 litre water

and the job's done :D

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Thanks to all of you.

Special thanks to you Alan for that great break down

So what would you recommend John?

Alan certainly has covered it very well.

I used to use cheap and cheerfull butane stoves but they are useless when you need them most. Even early spring mornings they will not boil a kettle due to butane not vaporising.

I have 3 methods depending on where i am fishing.

Fens and anywhere near carpark I have a camping double burner in my discovery commercial. This is basically a 4 wheel drive van that is my dedicated fishing vehicle.

It also contains caravan porta loo washing equipment even a little tv for weather reports but that rarely gets used. It has room to put my carp bed in also so I can travel to a venue and sleep in the car overnight if I wish.

A double burner is usefull for proper food as even with bacon eggs and beans you need a couple of pans and you need to boil a kettle aswell. I run this off propane so it always works.

For day sessions in winter for tea and some longer cold sessions away from car I use a coleman petrol stove. It has several advantages. It boils water very quick in all temperatures and the noise just makes you feel warm. You can top it up before you go so its always full when you start.

However it is sometimes too hot for cooking and of course you can get a petrol smell.

I also have a gas one. I bought a primus which attaches to a standard 520 gas cylinder. If you buy the 4 season mix it has propane butane and isobutane. Its cold weather performance is very good. The primus has a vaporiser coil much like the coleman petrol where the incoming gas goes over the flame to heat it and make sure it is fully vaporised. This makes a huge difference to cold weather peerformance.

You can in emergencys also invert gas cylinder so liquid gas comes into coil and vaporises and burns working identical to the coleman petrol. I have never needed to do this yet.

I often take both the coleman and the primus as they are small and light and give me the 2 burner option again.

You can find on ebay some windsheilds. They are folded aluminium about 6 sections with bars in the joins to push into ground. Using this makes the water boil much quicker.They are very light and fold flat.

hope this helops

John

ideally what is required for a winter day session is a small compact stove like mine or similar 1 x small kettle trakker 1 x 12cm single egg frying pan

1 or 2 rolls 1X small tub butter 1x small bottle brown sauce /tomato ketchup 1 x square sausage 1x egg

1 knife some tea bags & or coffee small 1/3 pint bottle milk 1 litre water

and the job's done :D

Well after living in Scotland as a growing kid ferreting up on the hills and dropping the odd float fished maggot in the waters that advice coming from a Winter Scottish Pike Angler is the pedigree of the advice. may I say in the kindest possible way that a winter Scottish pike angler is truly a nut case I mean look at that Mr Burton. He is not the full ticket is he :D

Very hardcore Anglers in my view...

PS...What areas do you tend to fish?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

a word of warning of users of those "suitcase" type gas cookers whose cylinders slide in the side (many on the market now under countless trade names) its imperative you do not use a pan that overhangs the cylinder part ,there has been reports of fires where the seals buckle in the heat directed near it by the pan above and they leak.

most if not all warn you now on the packaging but its worth mentioning it just incase

i'v used petrol ,paraffin and gas but prefer gas .

heres chesters1 bivvy light so rare even camping gaz forgot they sold them :D

it uses the extremely hard to find c406? carts i have a few but luckily you can use the c206 versions one sitting on the others head.

i buy any coleman stoves in good nick and under a fiver at boot sales and flog them on

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

a word of warning of users of those "suitcase" type gas cookers whose cylinders slide in the side (many on the market now under countless trade names) its imperative you do not use a pan that overhangs the cylinder part ,there has been reports of fires where the seals buckle in the heat directed near it by the pan above and they leak.

most if not all warn you now on the packaging but its worth mentioning it just incase

i'v used petrol ,paraffin and gas but prefer gas .

heres chesters1 bivvy light so rare even camping gaz forgot they sold them :D

it uses the extremely hard to find c406? carts i have a few but luckily you can use the c206 versions one sitting on the others head.

i buy any coleman stoves in good nick and under a fiver at boot sales and flog them on

I use a colman double burner and also have a single ring colman, can't fault them, fuels readily available at every petrol station

I use a coleman petrol stove - just make sure you add a squirt of lighter fluid in a full tank of unleaded (not not use high octane) to give the generator a longer life span.

That remainds me - I need to get it out and see if it still works BEFORE I need it.

In the nash carry bag designed for it I also carry a lighting stick - very handy on windy or damp days when lighters or matches may fail!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I use a coleman petrol stove - just make sure you add a squirt of lighter fluid in a full tank of unleaded (not not use high octane) to give the generator a longer life span.

That remainds me - I need to get it out and see if it still works BEFORE I need it.

In the nash carry bag designed for it I also carry a lighting stick - very handy on windy or damp days when lighters or matches may fail!

I have to admit i had one of those before and it did me a treat. That's a good tip too never thought about that one :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0009PUQAU/ref=...ASIN=B0009PUQAU

Seems reasonable

Edited by Hawk