Out comes the sun, out come's the......

RUDD

There was a quite well known angler recently on TV who was fishing for Carp. The pool was no bigger than 3 acres.After a break they came back to him and asked how much he had put in and the reply..25KG!!. That is 25Kg from 1 angler in a 3 acre pond WTF!

thenhe produced one carp of about 15lb for a whole day...the mind boggles!

Bloody hell ! I'm surprised the lake didn't have a new island in the middle of it after that !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

I dread to think how much bait goes into some places. The popular day ticket waters have people in swims pretty much all year round, all putting bait in. It's a wonder anyone ever catches anything! I would assume - and please someone correct me if I'm wrong - that some waters can take it if there's sufficient natural life to break it down and 'consume' it, whereas in others it simply rots on the bottom? With some types of bait more prone to rotting than others (e.g. cheap or shelf life boilies)?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

There was a quite well known angler recently on TV who was fishing for Carp. The pool was no bigger than 3 acres.After a break they came back to him and asked how much he had put in and the reply..25KG!!. That is 25Kg from 1 angler in a 3 acre pond WTF!

thenhe produced one carp of about 15lb for a whole day...the mind boggles!

so does the wallet!!

my buddy and i share a £40 bag of hallibut pellets that last us a year or so...we use tesco bread, frozen or value sweetcorn maggots and if we are feeling flush luncheon meat! if im feeling really flush ill treat myself to a tin of frenzied hemp or toffee hemp! LOL

and the bag of toffee hemp will last me 4 or 5 sessions! hehehe

I dread to think how much bait goes into some places. The popular day ticket waters have people in swims pretty much all year round, all putting bait in. It's a wonder anyone ever catches anything! I would assume - and please someone correct me if I'm wrong - that some waters can take it if there's sufficient natural life to break it down and 'consume' it, whereas in others it simply rots on the bottom? With some types of bait more prone to rotting than others (e.g. cheap or shelf life boilies)?

It's true Andrew, a popular day ticket lake near myself and Dales banned boilies because of the abuse by some anglers and they've also banned heavy baiting as well. I spoke to the owner about it and he said that people were throwing bucket loads of stuff in and most of it was just sitting there rotting away.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

It's true Andrew, a popular day ticket lake near myself and Dales banned boilies because of the abuse by some anglers and they've also banned heavy baiting as well. I spoke to the owner about it and he said that people were throwing bucket loads of stuff in and most of it was just sitting there rotting away.

our club has banned boilies and last year we banned surface feeding as well on our carp lake.

it got to the point where entire slices of bread were happily floating about the lake....if the wind was in the right direction you could sit there and during a session a goodly portion of a loaf of bread would happily float through your swim! LOL!

was always taught to put a handful of bait in to "start a swim" then feed little and often til the fish start to bite...when you have fish in the swim feed a little after every bite. and above all use common sense!! always worked fine for me no matter where ive fished. for groundbait i usually put a couple of fist size balls into place first...then fish over that. i would think thats my maximum amount of feed at any one point of time!

common sense is what is sorely lacking in todays world of course!

but then as has been said..when you get celebrity fishermen telling you that a decent way to surface fish is to wrap an entire slice of bread round your hook and let the fish nibbl;e it away til they get to your hook whats to be expected? the TV is the parent of an entire generation these days!

I would have though Shelf life boilies will take far longer to break down than any other due to the preservative used in the mix - therefore less prone to rott?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

It isn't only the modern angler that is like it; We once took a boat out to the Islands on our clubs estate lake and all around the islands were thousands and thousands of boilees and Tiger-nuts that had been fired out by so called Carp anglers; and Tiger-Nuts and boilees where banned on the club water anyway in those days.

We had to clean them out to prevent the water from going rancid.

We have since allowed boilees in moderation but make sure that it is policed properly nowerdays.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Dant's topic on internet reading prompted me to post this:

QUOTE (Anderoo @ Feb 28 2012, 07:20 PM)

http://www.riverwhy.co.uk/fishing_articles.htm

Parts 1-3 of the 'blackwater' story - really fascinating and engaging. ('Blackwater' = Colnemere, the pit that used to be home to the black mirror.)

This is worth a read anyway as it's a fantastic set of articles, but in relation to this topic there's a lot of very interesting stuff about bait not being eaten for weeks at a time - and this on a large, barely fished lake. Food for thought...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music