Light Spinning Advice

Errrm

Hi,

I'm thinking about the coming year and what to do and I think I'm finally going to look at taking advantage of living in the fens area and try fishing them. I was hoping to be try light spinning for Perch/Chub/Pike and have been reading a bit about different rods etc. A lot of the threads seem to be quite old and the rods aren't available anymore so does anyone have any suggestions for light spinning rods to look at?

Also what size rod would you go for? I'm really just looking to get out on to the fens and get used to fishing them and find out which areas contain fish. I was going to set whichever rod I buy up with a small fixed spool reel loaded with some form of braid (probably 15-20lb).

So basically, what weight lures/spinners should I be looking at (I've been looking at mepps, what size mepp spinners should I be looking at?) to target a wide range of fish? I'm quite happy catching Pike so that's not an issue either.

Any other advice would be great :-)

Errrm

I can't help with a specific rod - don't know what you folks have over there but a couple of observations.

Mepps are good for fairly open water but the unprotected trebles make them not so good for areas with much cover and that's where lots of fish like to be.

I'd say a good general weight range for light lures is in the 1/4 to 1/2 ounce range and there are lots of those available. Match th erod to the weight range you plan to use.

As a general search lure (easy to cover lots of water and won't be bad about hanging up) I really like the spinner design that seems more popular over here than in the UK. Designed with a single hook and to keep the hook point upward when the lure is moving. They will look similar to these.

http://www.cabelas.com/spinnerbaits.shtml

I also like both topwater and lipped (diving) plugs (called "crankbaits" or "hard baits").

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fish...%3Bcat104732280

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Rods come and go but they also last a few years once you buy one so it's unlikely that anyone is going to be able to give you a good overview of what's currently available.

I do know that the Savage Gear Bushwhacker rods are well regarded as budget models at the moment and if you're mainly targetting chub and perch, the 3 - 18g version is probably the one to go for but if you want a rod better able to deal with pike then perhaps the 10 - 30g rod would siut better.

Partner this with a small front drag spinning reel (spending a little on the reel is worthwhile) and you have the basics of an outfit. Personally. I use a 1000 size Shimano Sustain on a rod rated to cast 5/8oz but if you want to go a little heavier and use a 2500, that's fine so long as it balances - light is good though because you spend a lot of time casting.

I have been using 10lb Fireline of late which is pretty good (I have recently bought 12lb Nanofil but have yet to try it) but a braid will be OK if you can live with the wind knots.

To get decent presentation, you will have to make your own traces as the comercial ones are all very heavy. Size 16 swivels, the smallest Rosco snaps and 15lb uncoated wire are the way to go.

For chub and perch, size two Mepps are a good starting point. On my local rivers, I often use a three for extra distance and to sort out the bigger chub but rarely drop below a two especially if trout are present in numbers because they tend to swallow the lure a bit deep.

Techniques could go into pages but remember that unlike pike, perch and chub are not turned on by an active jerky retrieve. Whether you're using a spinner or a surfaces fiizzer like a Heddon Torpedo, just go with a straightforward retrieve - save the dogwalking, twitching and all the other clever stuff with plugs stick baits and soft plastics for the pike.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Errrrrrr, m

If possible you'll likely be happier with a "set-up' if you can afford the slightly larger lug charged by a good tackle dealer in the area. Seems the "fins" is a specific region with specific advantages. I'd sa a "local" is probably the best advice.

I wouldn't "piecemeal" my firs rig together.

Phone

Thanks for the advice, I was looking at something like the Abu Garcia Vendetta Cast (http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19153) until I realised it it wasn't for use with a fixed spool reel (Is this correct?) so I'll have a look at the rod you mentioned.

Yes, those rods are designed for use with a baitcaster/multiplier type reel (or a spincast) that sits on top of the rod. Whilst great fun, they're not the most flexible of outfits and become a royal pain in the bum when trying to cast light lures in windy conditions.

One thing that you can't skimp one with a baitcasting outfit is the reel. Because the spool revolves, the engineering has to be super smooth and that comes at a price.

Stick with a spinning outfit for the moment.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.